A string trimmer is a type of lawn care equipment that is used to trim grass and weeds around the edges of a lawn. It is also known as a weed whacker or weed eater.
1. Choose the right trimmer line.
2. Get the correct trimmer head.
3. Install the trimmer line and head correctly.
4. Start the trimmer and hold it at the correct angle. For example, when edging along a pavement, you need to hold the trimmer almost horizontal to the ground.
5. Move the trimmer steadily along.
String trimmers are a good alternative to gas trimmers. They are quiet, low maintenance, and run on small amounts of electricity. They are especially useful for small areas such as gardens and yards. Grasscutter uses a string of nylon or metal for cutting grass.
In this article, I will describe how to use a string trimmer. I will also explain why a string cutter is a good tool to use when maintaining your property.
String Trimmer Safety Rules
- String Trimmer Safety Rules
- How to Use a String Trimmer – A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Change the String on a Trimmer
- Gas Trimmers vs Electric String Trimmers
- String Trimmers FAQs
First, I will start with the most important thing to remember when using a string trimmer. Always wear safety glasses when using a string trimmer. It is important that you wear safety glasses because string trimmers are very dangerous. They can fire off small pieces of string that can hit you in the eye if you are not wearing safety glasses.
It is also suggested to wear protective clothing like a hard hat, goggles, and gloves. Read the manual to learn how to properly use your yard trimmer. Wear long sleeves and pants to prevent injury from flying debris.
How to Use a String Trimmer – A Step-by-Step Guide
Now that you know safety rules when using a string trimmer, I will explain how to use one.
- The first step is to make sure that the string trimming unit is off.
- Next, move the safety lock to the off position. The safety lock is the small lever on the handle of the trimmer that prevents the machine from starting. It is important to move the safety lock to the off position before starting the trimmer because if it is on the machine cannot be started.
- Load the trimmer head with a trimmer line. You will need to open up the protective cover on one side of the trimmer head. Place trimmer strings inside and then gently push it down.
- Next, you will want to pull the starter rope to start the string trimmer. If the engine starts sputtering, adjust the choke, and then try again.
- After the string trimmer starts, adjust the speed to a comfortable level. The string trimmer should be adjusted so that it runs at a high enough speed to efficiently cut the grass, but not too fast to be dangerous.
- Move the trimmer head back and forth in a side-to-side motion. You will need to feed the line through the trimmer head as you cut the grass.
- When you are done cutting, you will need to clean up the trimmer head. You will need to remove any leftover trimmer line and then you can put the protective cover back on.
How to Change the String on a Trimmer
Before starting, make sure the trimmer is turned off. If you are using a trimmer that is designed with a string that needs to be wound around a spool, then you need to remove the spool. If you are using a trimmer that uses a line, then you need to unwind the line from the spool.
To change the string on a trimmer, you’ll need to remove the head from the trimmer. Each model is a little different, but most have a screw that you simply loosen. You should be able to do this without tools. Use a small screwdriver or a coin if you need to.
The string is under a little spring tension. It may take a little effort to pull the head off. Once the head is off, you can simply pull the string out. If the string is worn down, simply wind a new string on the spool and replace it in the head.
Be sure to leave just a little bit of string sticking out of the hole in the center of the head so you can see when it’s time to replace the string.
Once you’ve replaced the string, just snap the cover back on and tighten the screw. Be sure not to overtighten it. You’re ready to get back to work!
Gas Trimmers vs Electric String Trimmers
String trimmers are powered by gasoline or electricity. Gasoline-powered string trimmers require no electricity to operate. They are typically less expensive than electric models, but they have the potential to cause harm or injury.
Electric string trimmers are safer to operate and more convenient when they are plugged into an outlet. They may be used to trim grass as well as weeds around the edges of a lawn.
Wondering how to use a gas trimmer? Gather all the necessary accessories such as fuel, oil, and extension cord. Put on appropriate protective gear and safety glasses. Check if the gas trimmer is empty. It is best to use a full tank.
Connect the extension cord to the trimmer and plugin. Pull the starter rope. If the trimmer is hard to start, prime the carburettor and pull the starter rope again. Make sure that the spool is not tangled.
Adjust the cutting line according to your work area. Test the spool to ensure that it works properly. For safety reasons, use the guard to protect your legs.
String Trimmers FAQs
How often should I sharpen the weed eater blade?
Depending on the brand of your weed eater, it should be sharpened every 25-50 hours of use.
How often should I change the line on my trimmer?
Most people change their trimmer line every 6-8 hours of use. If you have a thicker bladed trimmer, it will need to be changed every 4-5 hours.
I have a question about the start-up procedure. What is the correct procedure for a start-up?
There are 2 ways to start your string trimmer. You can either pull the starter cord until it starts, or you can use the electric start feature.
To start the string trimmer using the electric start, just like a lawnmower, place the bump knob in the on position and depress the start button. The engine will start. Once it starts, release the bump knob and squeeze the throttle trigger to keep the engine running.
To start the trimmer using the starter cord, just hold the bump knob in the on position and pull the starter cord. Once the engine starts, release the bump knob.
Can I use a trimmer as an edger?
It depends on the model and brand of the trimmer. But, generally, you can use a trimmer as an edger. Using a grass trimmer as an edger is not so hard or easy task. Just hold the string trimmer at an angle of 45 degrees and move it along the edges of the lawn. If you need to trim long grass, then you need to use the trimmer at a high speed.
A string trimmer can be a great tool to have around the house. It takes care of grass clippings and weeds with little to no effort on your part. It can be a great alternative to a lawnmower and can save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
I hope that this article was helpful and that you now know how to use a grass trimmer. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below.