A chainsaw is an essential and helpful tool for woodworkers, both professional and amateur. It must be sharp or you wouldn’t be able to work properly. You have come here to find the best chainsaw chain sharpener, and this is why I gathered the list of top-10 products for you with a detailed description of each of them. I specifically picked various options for different demands, budgets, and preferences. Pay attention to the table after each product with a description of their pros and cons. Read the manual, and find out everything you need to know about the tool. Whether it is electric, manual, or portable chain sharpeners, you will receive my helpful advice for them.
Woodworking and gardening are not only my main hobbies, but they are also my specialty. Years of expertise help me to offer you tips from my personal experience. I have checked these chainsaw chain sharpeners by myself or together with friends and clients. You may find hundreds of various products on the market, and get lost there. This is why I want to help you to choose only the top best selling tools at a reasonable price. If you have more questions to me about the products or want to share your own experience with them, there are comments available it the end of the page.
Top-10 Chainsaw Chain Sharpeners
- Top-10 Chainsaw Chain Sharpeners
- 1. Oregon 410-120 Bench or Wall Mounted Saw Chain Grinder – an Adjustable Chainsaw Teeth Sharpener
- 2. Chainsaw Sharpener File Kit – the Pack of Advanced Chainsaw Grinders for Affordable Price
- 3. STIHL 2 In 1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener – a Practical and Affordable Hand Held Chainsaw Sharpener
- 4. Chainsaw Sharpener Universal – a Lightweight Professional Chainsaw Sharpener with Two Pins
- 5. SuperHandy Chainsaw Sharpener Grinder Work Bench – the Best Electric Chainsaw Sharpener with Li-Ion Battery
- 6. Oregon 575214 Sure Sharp 12V Handheld Chainsaw Chain Sharpener/Grinder – the Leader Among Affordable Portable Chainsaw Sharpening Tools
- 7. Katzco Chainsaw Sharpener File Kit – the Top Chainsaw Sharpening Kit for Various Chains
- 8. Pferd 17300 CS-X Chain Sharp Filing Guide – Easy to Use Chainsaw Blade Sharpener
- 9. Oregon 30846 12 Volt Sure Sharp Chain Saw Sharpener – the Leader Among Compact Automatic Chainsaw Sharpeners
- 10. Timber Tuff CS-12V Portable Electronic Chain Saw Chain Sharpener – a Speedy Chainsaw Sharpener Kit
- The Manual and FAQ
- Choosing the Right Sharpener
The list includes different types of sharpeners for chains. Some of them are widely used by professionals, while others are recommended for personal use only. Pay attention to materials, power, weight, and company developer of the product. Read customer reviews before you buy the item.
1. Oregon 410-120 Bench or Wall Mounted Saw Chain Grinder – an Adjustable Chainsaw Teeth Sharpener
The 410-120 Bench or Wall Mounted Saw Chain Grinder By Oregon can be simply adjusted to the table or the wall. It works with a pitch chain of up to .404”. To provide advanced safety, the developers created a one-way motor inside this instrument and attached the built-in light, which you can turn on any time you use the sharpener. It looks massive, but it is mainly due to numerous features. The pack with the sharpener weighs 17 pounds.
The 410-120 Bench or Wall Mounted Saw Chain Grinder was created by an Oregon company that creates gardening tools. This is a bestselling developer with various products to offer. Their bench grinders are among the most popular products on the market. And this chain sharpener is one of them. The pack includes 3 grinding wheels 3/8”, ¼”, low profile, .325”, ¾” chain, .325, 3/8, .404”. There is an advanced longer nose to help you use the tool more comfortably and professionally. It guarantees a better quality of work. The wheel is made of top materials that are resistant to burnings. You can pick the diameter you need.
- 3 grinding wheels;
- High-quality materials;
- Longer nose;
- One-way motor;
- Can be adjustable to the bench or wall.
- One of the most expensive products on the list.
2. Chainsaw Sharpener File Kit – the Pack of Advanced Chainsaw Grinders for Affordable Price
Chainsaw Sharpener File Kit by Woodsman Tough is a set of instruments you need for your chainsaw. There are 8 items inside for a reasonable price. It comes with detailed instructions, where all your actions are explained step by step. The file is not sliding around, it is fixed reliably. You can tighten it in one simple move. The kit is small and lightweight. You can carry it around with you. It does not require electricity or batteries. There are files of different sizes to sharpen chains of various chainsaws.
- The product is made by Woodsman Tough, a company that develops high-quality outdoor equipment and tools. They offer this pack of instruments for landscape chainsaws, brushing, slashing saws, concrete cutting, and firewood cutting chainsaws. The whole package weighs 1.02 pounds. It includes:
- Three different sized round files: 7/32, 3/16, and 5/32 inches;
- A flat-file;
- A depth gauge;
- A hardwood handle;
- The detailed instruction;
- Comfortable tool pouch to protect all the instruments and keep them in one place, so you will not lose them.
- Easy to carry around;
- Contains 3 round files for different chains;
- A detailed instruction teaches how to sharpen the chain;
- Suits numerous types of chainsaws;
- Does not require any additional tools.
- More expensive than similar products on the market.
3. STIHL 2 In 1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener – a Practical and Affordable Hand Held Chainsaw Sharpener
The 2 in 1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener by STIHL is one of the most popular tools for sharpening the chain. The product works quickly and reliably. It sharpens the teeth of a chainsaw in a few minutes. The sharpener was produced for 3/8 P saw chains. While the tool is sharpening the cutters of the saw chain, it also lowers the depth gauges. The pack contains 2 round files, 1 flat file, the guide book, and a file holder. It weighs 12 ounces.
The 2 in 1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener was created by STIHL, the prime seller of woodworking, and gardening tools. Pay attention! This sharpener can be used not only for STIHL chainsaws. You can sharpen any chains of various brands. All you need is to make sure that the files match your chain before you buy it. The sharpener is extremely comfortable to use as it is lightweight and equipped with an ergonomic handle. It costs more than new chains, but after three times of sharpening, the price will be fully paid. After that, you will be saving your money.
- Simple in use;
- Reliable company-developer;
- High-quality materials;
- 2 round files in a pack.
- More expensive than similar items.
4. Chainsaw Sharpener Universal – a Lightweight Professional Chainsaw Sharpener with Two Pins
Chainsaw Sharpener Universal by EtekStorm provides you with 4 whetstones and reliable materials. It fits for 14, 16, 18, and 20 inches chain saw bars with 2 holes on the outer part of the blade of a chain saw. There is a second adjustable pin. The distance between pins is almost 1.3 inches but it can be suitable for 0.7 inches as well. This product is lightweight which allows users to hold it still for a long time and transport it anytime they need. There is protection for your arms, as you don’t need to get close to the whetstones. All you need is to squeeze the chainsaw and sharpen it.
The product was created by EtekStorm, a US company that develops various electrical instruments and products for woodworking. To use this item, you need to attach the chainsaw to the sharpener. Make sure you have closed the lock on the instrument. Squeeze the chainsaw and wait. You may probably need up to 5 seconds to sharpen the chain. There is an 18-months guarantee on the product. The sharpener weighs 13.8 ounces, mainly due to its lightweight plastic coating.
- Four sharpening stones;
- Affordable price;
- Fits different saw bars with 2 holes;
- Safe to use.
- It does not match Stihl bars.
5. SuperHandy Chainsaw Sharpener Grinder Work Bench – the Best Electric Chainsaw Sharpener with Li-Ion Battery
Chainsaw Sharpener Grinder Work Bench by SuperHandy is a cordless 18V DC lithium-ion battery-powered tool for professionals and hobbyists. It does not attach to any specific place and is portable. The grinding wheel is 23 mm inside and 108 mm outside, with a thickness of 3.2 mm. The wheel diameter is 7.8”. The output voltage of this sharpener is 21V DC. The product is lightweight, of 3.75 lbs when packed. It has an ergonomic handle for easy transportation. The idle speed is 6500 rpm.
This product was created by SuperHandy, a company that produces numerous professional tools for woodworking. The company offers a support team to help you with questions about their products. They attached the LED light inside the sharpener for perfect visibility no matter whether it is day or night. You have to wear protective glasses while working with the instrument. I recommend you to recharge the battery by the instruction, and only with a charger that is included in the pack. If something goes wrong with the charger, you can contact the company. This sharpener is extremely powerful, and you always have to remember the safety rules in the first place.
- Cordless sharpener;
- Powerful engine;
- LED work light;
- More expensive than manual sharpeners.
6. Oregon 575214 Sure Sharp 12V Handheld Chainsaw Chain Sharpener/Grinder – the Leader Among Affordable Portable Chainsaw Sharpening Tools
The 575214 Sure Sharp 12V Handheld Chainsaw Chain Sharpener by Oregon is a light-weight grinder with battery clips and a 12 Volt car adapter for the convenience of use. Basically, you don’t have to stay in one place to sharpen the chain. You may use this instrument while in the garden. The pack includes 3 sharpening stones: 7/32”, 3/16”, and 5/32”. There is also a collet wrench. For more comfortable use, there is a well-developed guide on angle adjustment for sharpening. This product sharpens various chains, even with 404” pitch.
The 575214 Sure Sharp 12V Handheld Chainsaw Chain Sharpener was created by Oregon producers, famous for their woodworking and gardening tools. They put the powerful engine inside the sharpener, which works at 25 000 RPM. The item weighs 1 pound, which allows you to handle it comfortably even for a long time. It has an ergonomic handle. However, I still recommend you to wear protective goggles or glasses to avoid accidents. Don’t start the work until the grinding stones will be securely fixed in the collet.
- Portable item;
- Weighs 1 pound only;
- Affordable price;
- Three grinding stones;
- Comfortable to use
- You have to hold the grinder while you are working.
7. Katzco Chainsaw Sharpener File Kit – the Top Chainsaw Sharpening Kit for Various Chains
The Chainsaw Sharpener File Kit by Katzco contains helpful tools that will fix the sharpness of the chainsaw chain in no time. There is a stylish and well-organized tool pouch where you can find everything you need. Gather the instruments inside, and take them with you anywhere you go. The pack includes 5/32, 3/16, and 7/32 inches round files. There is a premium-quality fine tooth flat file as well. The handle of hardwood in the kit fits with all these files and the depth gauge instrument. It can be used to sharpen various chainsaws.
The product was developed by Katzco, the company that produces the best settling instruments for both indoors and outdoors. They offer a portable set of tools to fix any chain. All the instruments are made of high-quality materials. However, I recommend you to keep all of them together, in the roll-up original pouch. This way you will not lose them and be able to access everything you need quickly. The pack contains 8 items:
- Hardwood handle;
- Flat tooth file;
- Tool pouch;
- Filing guide;
- Three fine-tooth files;
- Depth gauge tool.
- Affordable price;
- Three fine tooth files;
- High-quality materials;
- Adjustable handle;
- Convenient to use.
- It takes more time to sharpen the chain than the electric one.
8. Pferd 17300 CS-X Chain Sharp Filing Guide – Easy to Use Chainsaw Blade Sharpener
The 17300 CS-X Chain Sharp Filing Guide by Pferd has an advanced position of the file, and the shape designed specifically to improve the guiding. Use two handles from both sides of the sharpener to hold it still and stable. The depth gauge distance in this product is 0.025 inches, which is suitable for numerous types of chainsaws. The pack weighs only 11.2 ounces.
The 17300 CS-X Chain Sharp Filing Guide was created by PFERD, a company that produces brushes, abrasives, and different power tools, like the sharpener. This is the perfect tool for outdoors, as this sharpener does not rely on electricity. You don’t have to remove the chain from a chainsaw to sharpen it with this tool. This item also works perfectly with Stihl. Before you buy it, I recommend you to pay attention to the size of the chainsaw teeth, and compare it with files that are offered here. And do not forget to wear protective glasses while you are working. I also suggest you keep this instrument in a special pack to protect it from getting wet. Don’t let the children play with the tool!
- The sharpener is easy to hold;
- Portable item;
- Universal files;
- High-quality product;
- Affordable price.
- It works longer than an electrical one.
9. Oregon 30846 12 Volt Sure Sharp Chain Saw Sharpener – the Leader Among Compact Automatic Chainsaw Sharpeners
The 30846 12 Volt Sure Sharp Chain Saw Sharpener works from the 12-volt battery and is the perfect tool for everyone who works in the field. It is lightweight and simple in use. The item weighs 14.4 ounces. I bet you can learn how to use this sharpener even with instruction. However, I do recommend you to read one. It sharpens chains of different sizes. The pack contains 2 sharpening stones plus a detailed guide for anyone who wants to reach great results.
The 30846 12 Volt Sure Sharp Chain Saw Sharpener is a product of an Oregon company. This company creates tools for gardening and woodworking. Besides the sharpener, you can also find chains there as well. The pack includes the cord clamps of 72 inches long for a 12V battery. The whole product is covered with high-quality thick plastic which allows the sharpener to stay cool even after several hours of work. Yet, be careful with your fingers! This plastic is smooth, which is pleasant to touch, but there is not a textured grip. There are 3 sharpening stones, instead of the usual 2: 7/32, 5/32, and 3/16 inches.
- Affordable price;
- Three sharpening stones;
- Coating that does not overheat;
- Easy to hold;
- No specific ergonomic grip.
10. Timber Tuff CS-12V Portable Electronic Chain Saw Chain Sharpener – a Speedy Chainsaw Sharpener Kit
The CS-12V Portable Electronic Chain Saw Chain Sharpener from Timber Tuff works at a high speed without getting overheated. It uses a 12V motor and provides an efficiency point of 16000500r/min. The cover of the sharpener is made of top quality materials that prevent it from outside impact and aging. You can reach 20, 25, and 30 degrees at random. There are 3 grinding stones attached to the sharpener: 7/32, 5/32, and 3/16 inches.
This CS-12V Portable Electronic Chain Saw Chain Sharpener was created by Timber Tiff, a popular developer of tools for gardening. The company developers provide a 1-year warranty for the sharpener. The instrument is made of high-quality materials and is lightweight. It weighs 1.05 pounds. The maximum speed it can reach is 20000 rpm. I recommend you to choose grinding stones depending on the chains you are currently using. The cover of a sharpener is made of polypropylene. The pack contains a guide for the tool, which I advise you to read before the work.
No products found.
- High-quality product;
- Three grinder stones;
- High speed of work;
- One year warranty;
- Anti-aging cover.
- It requires a 12V battery.
The Manual and FAQ
While you were looking through my list of chainsaw teeth sharpener reviews, you may have been wondering about the general characteristics of these instruments. If it is your first chainsaw or first sharpener to buy, you may get a little bit lost. What do you need to look for when there are millions of different offers on the market?
But before we start, I hope everyone has already understood what is the chainsaw sharpener, because otherwise, it would be weird. Anyway, I must stress it out: a chainsaw sharpener is a real-life and money saver. This tool sharpens the chain on the chainsaw, bringing back the original state of teeth. You don’t have to buy a new chain anytime it gets blunt. In the meantime, you don’t have to struggle through cutting the wood with an unsharpened tool, as it can be even dangerous. In the chainsaw sharpener reviews above, I have gathered different tools of affordable prices for you.
There are 3 main types of sharpeners. You need to learn which one you need before you order anything. I must warn you that they all have their benefits! The types of instruments and how do chainsaw chain sharpeners work:
- Electric sharpener. This one is considered to be used by professionals. It is the fastest and the most precise way to sharpen the chain. Nowadays, these sharpeners can be affordable for anyone. They do not require holding them, so your muscles may relax. You fix the chain with a guide bar and reach the angle you need.
However, they are usually more expensive than other types of sharpeners;
- Handheld sharpener. Many people are asking how to sharpen a chainsaw blade manually, and this is when the handheld tool works the best. It is one of the easiest instruments to use. There is a file attached to the handle. You can pick among different sizes of files. There can be round and plain forms as well. The diameter of the file must be suitable for the chain’s teeth. You have to fix the chain reliably under the angle you need. They are simple and affordable instruments and do not require electricity for work;
- Bar mounted sharpener. This type of sharpeners is not electric, but it works faster than a handheld tool. These sharpeners need a stable platform to work on. They have knobs that give you an advantage while picking the best angle. You still need to use your hands, holding the tool. You receive more precise sharpening in the end, faster procedure, and moderate price.
A Few Words on Protective Measures
Since I know that many of you are currently rolling your eyes, I will make it short. Please, don’t forget to wear glasses while you are sharpening the chain. Small pieces of chain or sparks may get into your eyes if you are not careful enough. I also recommend wearing protective gloves while you are working with sharpeners, but it is up to you.
How to Sharpen a Chainsaw Blade with an Electric Sharpener?
The electric sharpener is one of the easiest tools to use, while some of the models may look massive. You don’t have to be a professional woodworker to use it. The guide bar will do everything for you. You have to fix the chain between it, picking the best angle. The wheel will be moving at the speed you want, sharpening the chain. All you need is to make sure that the length and angle are suitable for you. Many of them have the backlight for the convenience of use.
How to Set Up Correct Angle on Chainsaw Chain Sharpener?
A sharpening angle really depends on the chain you are working with. The most spread is 30 degrees angle, but you still have to check out the angle on your chain before starting the procedure. You can either use the suitable file, or you can select the angle by comparing it with the witness marks on the teeth of the chain if there are some. Nevertheless, I have to warn you that not all chains have marks. The shallower the angle, the smoother your cut will be. I recommend you to fix the chain reliably with the angle that is recommended by the chain developers.
How to Pick Chainsaw Sharpeners?
I have already mentioned the most interesting and reliable sharpeners for you on the list. But if you are still wondering how to pick the best of the best, pay attention to the next features:
- Coating material. No matter which type of sharpener you will choose, it must not be overheating or damaged;
- The price must not be the cheapest one, but affordable and reasonable;
- The company developer must have a solid reputation on the market;
- The power should be enough;
- Files must be suitable for your chain.
Choosing the Right Sharpener
No matter whether woodworking is your hobby or profession, you have to use only the best tools. It not only saves money but can protect you from useless efforts and extra worries. If you are feeling serious about woodworking and decide to make a huge project, I recommend you to consider electric sharpeners. However, if you work outside and need something portable and lightweight, pay attention to other types of tools.
Tell me about your favorite sharpeners, and which one from the list you like the most? If you have any problems with them, describe these issues in the comments below.