Are you sick of cutting monstrous logs with your rather modest 14-inches? Well, perhaps it’s time to upgrade to the big boy now! For serious, heavy-duty jobs that require impressive cutting power and top-of-the-line performance, laying your hands on the best 20-inch chainsaw is the best option. A solid 20″ chainsaw excels at cutting through most types of wood. Just make sure you get the most reliable machine for your needs if you want it to last a lifetime.
A top-rated, most durable chainsaw is perfect for dealing with large-diameter logs and branches. This beast will serve you forever and a day — as long as you get the best item and keep operation and maintenance on a high level. Bear in mind that haste makes waste when it comes to choosing the best 20 chainsaws for your projects. So before going and purchasing the first machine that seems to tickle your fancy, read my 20-inch chainsaw reviews published below.
Top-Notch 20″ Chainsaws Assessed and Reviewed
- Top-Notch 20″ Chainsaws Assessed and Reviewed
- 1. Husqvarna 20 Inch Gas Chainsaw: My Top-Pick Tool
- 2. Poulan Pro 20″ 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw: Works Like a Champ
- 3. Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf 59.8CC Chainsaw: Powerful & Smooth-Cutting
- 4. OppsDecor XP2300 58cc Gas Powered 20″ Chainsaw: Made to Last
- 5. SALEM MASTER 6220G 62CC 2-Cycle 20″ Chainsaw: Best Value
- 6. Himimi Cordless Chainsaw: Powerful Workhorse
- 7. JAWM 52cc Gasoline 20″ Chainsaw: Great for Your Household Needs
- Types of 20-Inch Chainsaws: Covering the Basics
- Answering Your FAQ About 20-Inch Chainsaws
- Cutting to the Chase (Pun Intended)
It’s good to have a solid chainsaw around, especially if you live on a ranch and need a reliable tool for your multiple gardening, property maintenance, and/or repair projects. A robust 20-inch gas chainsaw is an awesome all-around machine suitable for a variety of jobs.
Not sure which product to stick with? With all this overwhelming diversity presented on the market, choosing the right item can, indeed, be a challenge. Below, I’ll lend you a helping hand and answer some of your questions about top-rated gas chainsaws. Keep reading.
1. Husqvarna 20 Inch Gas Chainsaw: My Top-Pick Toolchainsaw that’s capable of tackling even the most demanding landowner projects (let alone smaller tasks), this honey might be your best bet. This best-selling chainsaw boasts sufficient power to cut through the largest of trees in no time. And it comes with a comprehensive, easy-to-get-to-grips-with guide to assist you in handling the tool.
Moreover, starting and using this chainsaw is a cakewalk. This wonder tool for homeowners, ranchers, and farmers are both powerful and exceptionally lightweight (which means it won’t exhaust you to death within the first twenty minutes of use). Vibration-proof and flaunting excellent build quality, this machine was ergonomically designed with longevity, versatility, and convenience in mind.
Husqvarna is a trusted brand that makes long-lasting power tools for professional contractors (or arborists) and everyday DIYers. The Husqvarna 455 Rancher is their version of a workhorse chainsaw that is great at handling both large and small tree felling projects.
The Rancher was made to perform as safely as possible, even if you’re a beginner user. That being said, if you’re a homeowner whose projects often suggest chopping or trimming some wood, this power machine might be exactly what you need. On an additional plus side, this chainsaw is also mouth-wateringly affordable.
- Excellently-built, well-balanced, and featherweight;
- A breeze to start, stop, utilize, maintain, and store;
- Vibration-proof, powerful, minimum kickback;
- Maximum safety;
- Manufactured by a reliable company.
- Copes with smaller projects very well, but may seem a bit too bulky for them.
2. Poulan Pro 20″ 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw: Works Like a Champelectric and gas-powered tools for nearly 60 years. The manufacturer’s stellar reputation and their fantastic warranty offers are sure to draw your attention to their fantastic products. Their selection of chainsaws is truly awesome. They are sure to amaze you with their solid build and smooth performance.
So, you need a durable, reliable chainsaw for completing heavy-duty jobs at home? You can count on this high-quality (and temptingly affordable!) Poulan Pro baby. This awesome 20-inch homeowner-grade gas-powered chainsaw gets the job done with ease, slicing hardwood and large limbs almost effortlessly. It starts smoothly, as long as you follow the instructions. The issues of use and maintenance are a walk in the park as well.
This beast cuts wood like a hot knife through butter. You will like its multiple (and truly effective) safety features. And you will definitely fancy its vibration-resistant (and i.e. user fatigue-proof) technology. Additionally, the chainsaw comes with a comfy carrying case, which adds to its impressive portability. All in all, chances are for the price, this one-of-a-kind machine will exceed your expectations.
- Excellent build, robust engine;
- Starts and cuts effortlessly;
- Well-balanced and fast;
- Vibration-resistant handle;
- Comes with a carrying case.
- The bar may heat up faster than other models;
- A bit on the heavier side.
3. Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf 59.8CC Chainsaw: Powerful & Smooth-Cutting
Concerning the Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf gas-powered chainsaw, this pro-grade tool is perfect for an active homeowner, farmer, or rancher who’s very much into their multiple DIY projects. It’s excellently made, as well as effortless in setup, use, and maintenance. The robust 59.8 cc engine of this beast is among the largest made by Echo. And the thing does not vibrate much due to the built-in vibration-proof technology.
This chainsaw starts and runs every time you need it. If you’ve read the reviews online, you’re probably aware that the machine flaunts a top-notch super-effective air filter. I’ve test-driven this baby by cutting oak with it for several hours. And the air filter still looked like it was brand new. So yep, the air filtering system is very good, which significantly increases the machine’s engine life. Accessing the spark plug and the air filter is a no-tools-necessary procedure.
In spite of all this power and strength, this Echo chainsaw is relatively lightweight and a breeze to maneuver. So whether you’re a large property owner who’s constantly cutting trees and completing various DIY tasks or need a reliable chainsaw for professional use, this no-brainer Echo model might be just the ticket. You simply can’t go wrong with it. It cuts wood like a bear claw. And the price is reasonable.
- Super powerful and smooth-cutting;
- Streamlined design and excellent balance;
- Vibration-resistant technology is very effective;
- An excellent choice for busy DIY enthusiasts;
- Great value for the money.
- Guard is prone to cracking over time.
4. OppsDecor XP2300 58cc Gas Powered 20″ Chainsaw: Made to Lastchainsaw to something with a 20″ bar? This model might fit you like a glove. This 20-inch chainsaw boasts both affordability and solid quality. If you’re in search of a pro team to help you with cleaning or cutting jobs on your property, consider purchasing this machine instead. It might actually tickle your fancy and even exceed your expectations.
The 58cc two-stroke engine of this gasoline-powered honey is strong enough to cope with medium to heavy-duty projects. Furthermore, this chainsaw is incredibly safe, durable, and well-designed. It features a smart air filtration system that bolsters its engine’s lifespan. The hard-plastic blade cover fits perfectly. And it prevents you from cutting yourself when the chainsaw is idle — such a great bonus.
The OppsDecor XP2300 chainsaw comes in a secure package with all the necessary accessories in the box. It’s going to take you less than half an hour to study the manual and set the machine up. The chainsaw is made with solid-quality materials. And the thing is not heavy at all. You can easily pick it up with one hand.
This exceptionally user-friendly baby is easy to start and operate. It starts right up, and the ‘easy start’ technology is high-end. You don’t even have to step on it when pull-starting it. Just start it up while it’s still in the air, and you’re all set. The chainsaw runs for hours without a single problem. It’s perfect for larger projects e.g. prepping firewood and felling medium-to-large trees. All in all, this hardworking machine is going to make your yard maintenance a lot easier.
- Robust engine, great for heavy-duty projects;
- A breeze to start and utilize, even if you’re not a pro;
- First-rate air cleaning technology;
- Ensures maximum safety;
- Reasonable price.
- The chain may get loose from time to time.
5. SALEM MASTER 6220G 62CC 2-Cycle 20″ Chainsaw: Best Value
No products found.This fantastic tool from Salem Master is great for both professional and household projects. The chainsaw is very well-thought-out, robust, and convenient. Thanks to its ergonomic design, you will maneuver the machine easily and won’t get tired for hours. This powerful cutting tool gives you maximum control and, thus, adds up to super-precise cuts.
Even if you’re just a beginner chainsaw user, the machine is relatively easy to handle. With just a little bit of learning curve and elbow grease, you will master the art of dealing with this ‘baby’ in the blink of an eye. Keep in mind that this beast is a little on the heavy side for homeowners who are just looking to trim branches and complete similar small projects.
Overall, this is a great value, budget-friendly saw with plenty of power. Affordable, powerful, and reliable. And the customer service is outstanding, which is always important. So, if you’re on the prowl for a good 20-inch chain saw to take care of some stuff, say, around your yard (without breaking the bank), this smart, safe, and easy-to-maintain beast might be just what the doctor ordered.
- A breeze to assemble, start and handle;
- Cuts like butter for hours on end;
- Powerful motor, durable chain, and bar;
- Comfy, non-slip handle;
- Best bang for your buck.
- The instructions that come with it clearly show it’s not made in the US. But the quality is great anyway;
- The balance may leave much to be desired.
6. Himimi Cordless Chainsaw: Powerful Workhorse
This machine cuts through large limbs effortlessly. It features a self-sharpening stone that comes in handy when the blade gets dull. Also, the chainsaw flaunts some great safety switches and bars to protect you and your kids from accidentally starting it. Furthermore, this Himimi tool is very quiet, especially compared to a 20 electric chainsaw. This will make you (and your neighbors) happy.
The thing is ideal for a homeowner who intends to use it for day-to-day bush/limb/tree removal and maintenance. Feel free to cut wood with it all day long, and it will run like a champ. Overall, the Himimi 20-inch chainsaw is a wise investment in equipment that will last you a very long time. Don’t forget to read the instructions right after receiving the item. That way, you will handle the thing wisely and i.e. avoid potential mistakes.
- Impressive power and maneuverability;
- Superb air filtration system;
- Long-lasting pull mechanism;
- Effortless no-tools-necessary maintenance;
- Impeccable customer service.
- Not the best choice if you need a chainsaw for industrial use.
7. JAWM 52cc Gasoline 20″ Chainsaw: Great for Your Household Needs
This super-smart gas-powered honey is good at preparing firewood, tree pruning, cleaning up after a storm, etc. You will fancy the QuickStart technology this chainsaw comes with. Along with a robust engine, it adds up to the machine’s durability and easier pull starts.
In addition to all this, this JAWM 20-inch chainsaw is outfitted with effective vibration-proof technology. The unit’s cushion wrap handle is definitely going to contribute to your overall comfort while using the saw. Finally, this chainsaw comes with an automatic oiler that keeps the chain in great shape.
This chainsaw boasts so many fantastic features! So, don’t neglect to look into its characteristics and focusing on what other people have to say about it. Even if you decide to purchase this baby today, I’m gonna have to say you will hardly ever regret this decision. Yep, it’s that good.
- Powerful and not too heavy;
- Cuts wood like butter;
- Ideal for light to medium wood-cutting chores;
- Straightforward assembly;
- Sturdy and built to last;
- Awesome product for the price.
- The instructions are not 100% clear, but the assembly is very intuitive.
Types of 20-Inch Chainsaws: Covering the Basics
If you’ve found yourself here on this web page, you probably associate chainsaws with chopping wood, felling trees, and getting rid of the trees’ unhealthy limbs rather than watching horror movies with bad guys equipped with chainsaws. If that is the case, you should know that there’s an array of chainsaw types.
This knowledge can help you choose the exact piece of equipment for your particular needs. Below, you will find the types of 20-in. chainsaws and their brief descriptions.
Pocket Chainsaws: Portable Yet Not So Powerful
These honey are used for minor cutting projects. And yep, you can literally carry them in your pocket. They’re also often referred to as manual chainsaws. A lot of people buy these machines from stores, while many DIY lovers make them with their own hands.
With regard to the perks of pocket chainsaws, they are lightweight, inexpensive, and quiet. As for the drawbacks, these machines are time-consuming, good for small jobs only, and quite challenging to utilize.
Battery-Powered Machines: Eco-Friendly and Quiet
These chainsaws are excellent for small to medium cutting jobs anywhere you go, e.g. brush-clearing projects in the areas where an extension cord is impossible to use. Along with pocket and gas chainsaws, battery-powered machines are also referred to as ‘cordless’. The silver lining is that these (almost independent) babies are eco-friendly, maneuverable, and quiet. While limited battery life and not much cutting power are these chainsaws’ weak spots.
Electric Chainsaws: Effortless but Corded
These machines are corded, which means more power (and less independence — they’re ‘tied’ to an outlet). They excel at small to medium cutting jobs and are very easy to get to grips with even for beginners. On the other hand, if you want a chainsaw for the not-near-your-home projects, you might want to get a generator or go cordless.
Gas Chainsaws: Super Powerful, Portable, and Versatile
These honey have truly got the power for completing both professional and household tasks. They cut through (almost any kind of) wood like a hot knife cuts through butter. These versatile machines are cordless, which means you can take them anywhere with you. They’ll work as long as there’s gas in the tank. Gas-powered chainsaws are portable, reliable, and literally all-purpose. However, they’re often on the loud side and can be a challenge to start. Needless to say that these babies are far from being ecologically friendly.
Pneumatic Chainsaws: Perfect for Industrial Use
These ‘babies’ are even more powerful than gas chainsaws. However, unlike gas chainsaws, pneumatic machines are typically used expressly in industrial settings. They are extremely durable and powerful enough to cut through metal and concrete. And they’re eco-friendly. Don’t even try searching for pneumatic chainsaws on Amazon. These powerful beasts are usually purchased directly from the manufacturers.
Answering Your FAQ About 20-Inch Chainsaws
If you have questions left about 20-in. chainsaws, look through our answers to some of our readers’ most frequently asked questions below. Perhaps, you will find the details that interest you the most there. If you don’t, you can always ask your questions in the comment section below. I will get back to you with answers as soon as possible.
What is the difference in 20-inch chainsaw chains?
The main difference lies in the length of the chainsaw bar. To pinpoint this parameter, measure your chainsaw bar from its nose to the cutter nearest to the machine’s body. Round this parameter up to the closest even number in inches. For instance, a bar measuring 18 3/4″ will have an official length of 20″.
Can I fell huge trees with a 20-inch chainsaw?
Yes, certainly. Gas-powered 20″ chainsaws are strong and fast enough to help you cope with this difficult task — especially the ones I’ve reviewed in my selection above. They’re the best in terms of both reliability and functionality.
How to sharpen a 20-inch chainsaw?
If you want your chainsaw to last longer, perform better, work safer, and cut faster, you need to keep the saw chain sharp. Feel free to make the best of a variety of tools to complete this vital mission. To sharpen a 20-inch chainsaw at home, you will need:
- a good-quality round file matched to your saw’s tooth size;
- a flat-file;
- a sharpening guide to aid you in controlling your filing angles and position;
- and a reliable depth-gauge tool.
Start with do-it-yourself sharpenings. And after about 10 of them, take your chainsaw to a pro sharpener. Professional sharpening is aimed at removing all the minor imperfections invariably created during your DIY sharpening endeavors.
What can a 20-inch chainsaw cut?
A good 20-in. chainsaw can cut through almost any kind of wood. It’s going to help you with both household and professional needs. And if you’re currently wondering how to prepare for a tornado, a good chainsaw should be among the must-have tools on your list. Of course, this baby won’t cut through concrete or metal. That’s where a solid industrial chainsaw comes into play.
Cutting to the Chase (Pun Intended)
Now that you’ve read my reviews of the best 20-inch chainsaws on the scene, you’re free to make your conclusions as to the most suitable machine for your needs. With regard to my personal choice, the absolute best on my list is Husqvarna. It’s the perfect combination of power, portability, and effectiveness. I cut my teeth on working with chainsaws, so you can trust me on this one.
Now, taking a quick detour from this post’s main topic, did you know that chainsaws injure nearly 40,000 people on a yearly basis? Yep, that’s official statistics from the Chainsaw Safety report provided by The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler. That being said, you should always approach chainsaws wisely after having done your homework on the matter.
Now, what are your personal preferences when it comes to the best 20-inch? If you’ve already bought an outstanding 20″ chainsaw, put it through its paces, and made sure that it’s made to last, you’re welcome to share your overall experience with your fellow readers. I appreciate your feedback, so get the discussion going in the comment box below now.