The portable table saw is extremely useful and is widely considered one of the most popular electric garden tools. Thanks to new and innovative types of blades, a table saw can cut not only wood and its derivatives, but also much more durable and dense materials — various types of plastic, laminate, and slate. Besides, a table saw can handle some types of sheet metal. The professional portable table saw is in huge demand for home and garage work. It allows you to perform high-quality longitudinal, transverse, and curly cuts thankful to its design features.
Frequently both amateurs and professionals wonder what would be the best table saw choice and which blades suit each of them. There are several criteria that you have to follow to choose the right tool. Some of them are: the volume of processed material, type, and duration of work, the power of the tool, as well as its productivity. To help you with this difficult choice, I have compiled a TOP 9 portable table saws comparison and answered questions about their correct and safe use that may occur when you make your choice.
TOP 9 Best Portable Table Saws-for every Purpose
GOFLAME 4″ Table Saw 8500 RPM Electric-Ideal for Wood, Metal, Tile, and Plastics
GOFLAME 4″ is a miniature multi-function table saw. It comes with a cover part that goes over the blade to protect you from any accidental damages. It is basically the small table saw for home workshop usage mostly. GOFLAME size is 1×4″ which is convenient for storage anywhere in your household. Besides, you can put it anywhere due to its portable size and compact design. It is quite easy to use since it is made for beginners.
High-speed GOFLAME electric table saw reaches up to 8500 RPM. This small hobby table saw is constructed from a solid iron frame which increases stability in the working process and ensures cutting performance. GOFLAME obtains two slots for precise angle cutting which makes your work process easier and results better.
- Small size
- Convenient to use
- High-speed motor
- The deep cut depth is 3/4″
- Not intended to work with large size materials
DEWALT DWE7485 8-1/4 Inch-Compact Jobsite Table Saw
DWE7485 is the smallest table saw released in March 2020, which means it is pretty much brand new. It is designed for the big size materials and maximized for high-speed, ultimately precise cutting. DEWALT 7485 has a little turning wheel for micro-adjustments of the size of the material that you cut.
Another thing I like about this tool is the blade guard to protect you from sudden damage during the work process. It has a powerful 5800 RPM motor which is perfectly suitable to work with many of the materials at any working speed you prefer. The rack and pinion fence is designed to rip the 4×8 size sheet goods.
- Anti-kickback pawls
- Arranged blade change wrenches
- Perfect for job site
- Powerful motor
- Compact size for easy transportation
- Not designed to cut thick stock
- Too expensive
Proxxon 37006 KS 115- Bench Circular Saw
The design of this folding table saw ensures that you will enjoy its useful precision work for a long time. Proxxon is manufactured through the aluminum die casting. It is subjected to additional surface mining, which ensures that irregularities have no chance to impair. Its extremely durable 85 watts motor is so quiet that it’s barely audible.
The saw blade at a speed of 5000 RPM is perfectly suited for the work in hand. Vibration hasn’t a chance here because of the great metal cover. When it comes to accessories, you can find an adjustable longitudinal stop on the leading edge of the table that helps to set up the workpiece width. The angles stop button acts as a further aid where exact angles need to be cut. You need to simply set the desired value in the angled scale, tighten the clamping screw, insert it into the groove of the table saw and start the work process. Proxxon 37006 has a vacuum cleaner that can be attached to the cover, and it ensures that your workplace remains clean.
- Perfectly plane aluminum cover
- Wide range of settings
- Lightweight model
- Powerful motor with a prolonged life expectancy
- Modular guard system
- Only for wood
Rockwell RK7241S- Table Saw with Laser
This table saw contains the best characteristics that this tool may have, such as power motor, portability, and versatility. Since it is intended for work mostly on job sites, it has an extra-long fold-out fence to get the maximum widest cuts. Rockwell has an innovative laser indicator to control consistent accuracy. The speed at its maximum is 4800 RPM which is great for the bag sizes materials.
The trolley stand is designed to make transportation and storage easier than ever before. The dust bag attached to the below cover of the table saw will reduce efforts to clean your workplace afterward. In case you are willing to use Rockwell frequently, the manufacturer put two blades in the package.
- Has a laser indicator
- Wheeled for easy transportation
- Outfeed support
- Fold-out fence system for maximum rip capacity
- Too expensive
TACKLIFE Table Saw: Universal Tool Both for Professionals and Beginners
This table saw is a professional model created to work with both small and large size materials. On the back of TACKLIFE, there is a convenient dust extraction nozzle that immediately cleans everything leaving your workplace accurate and always ready to use.
On top of this table saw, you can find the angle guide which you can slide, push along, and adjust any needed angle of the cutting material. Besides, it has a nice blade cover to make your work process safe and enjoyable. The manufacturer included a detailed safety and precautions guide on how to work with this model of table saws since this is a serious machine that requires an accurate approach.
- Convenient design
- 45 degrees bevel cutting
- Aluminum extension cover for easy process
- Powerful 4800 RPM motor
- Does not cut metal plates
MicroLux Mini Tilt Arbor- Table Saw For Benchtop Hobby Use
MicroLux Mini Tilt Arbor is a great small portable table saw for your home workshop. This high-precision variable speed table saw will cut different types of wood, plastic, and metal sheets. It comes with a blade cover for protection. The self-aligning rip fence is powerful enough and runs smoothly. If you want to set up the speed of the motor to have full control of the cutting process, there is a knob right near the on/off switch.
The slow speed intended to cut the metal and plastic, and high speed is for wood. Besides, you can raise and lower the blade height for your convenience. One thing I like the most about MicroLux Mini Tilt Arbor is its plastic outlet at the back of the tool where you can plug your vacuum and your workplace will always remain clean.
- The smallest portable table saw
- Lightweight model-11lbs
- High-quality iron cover
- 1-year warranty
- Comparably expensive
Hitachi 15-Amp – Jobsite Table Saw with 35″ Rip Capacity and Fold and Roll Stand
The Hitachi C10RJ is the small circular saw table that is aimed at domestic use or a small batch production. This table saw is made of the aluminum cover and obtains a storage compartment for accessories. The presence of an electric outlet makes it possible to work together with a vacuum cleaner, which saves time on cleaning the workplace.
The protective cover makes working with the machine safe. Hitachi has wheels for easy and comfortable transportation. The depth of cut at a right angle is 3 1/8 inches to 2 1/4 inches, and you can choose a tilt angle of 45 degrees. The rotational speed is 4 800 RPM. The large, robust, and reliable worktable of the Hitachi C10RJ circular saw is made of corrosion-free aluminum and will last for many years. You can extend the area of the worktable due to the presence of right and left table extensions. It enables you to work with bulky workpieces.
- 4500 RPM motor for maximum cutting speed
- Built-in compartment
- Protective cover for safety
- Diversity of settings
- A bit expensive
SKILSAW SPT70WT-01 10 Inch -Portable Worm Drive Table Saw
That is the most outstanding and innovative world’s first Worm Drive table saw. It does have a top extension that allows you to cut 25 inches from blade to the end of your rip fence. It works well for cutting full sheets of plywood or at OSB.
SKILSAW has a blade cover and anti-kickback system, which are easy to install if you follow the instructions of the manufacturer. Its portability is under 50 pounds, which is quite lightweight for a table saw for professional use. The bevel angle is standard as for all table saws: its range is from 0 to 45 degrees, and you can arrange it underneath. The durable 15-amp Dual-Field motor starts and runs smoothly.
- 15 amp Dual-Field motor
- Portable and comfortable storage
- Self-aligning rip fence for accurate cuts
- Has a blade guard system
- Mostly for professional use
DEWALT DW745 10-Inch -Table Saw, 20-Inch Rip Capacity
The table saw DEWALT DW745 is a convenient tool perfectly suitable for garden works. It is intended for use in home construction or a small production. DEWALT’s worktable and telescopic rail provide a comfortable and large workplace. The protective cover makes the operation safe and fully opens the view of what you are cutting at the moment.
The ability to work together with a vacuum cleaner makes the afterward work process easier. The tiltable saw blade makes it possible to saw the tough material at an angle of up to 45 degrees in the vertical plane. The telescopic guide allows you to cut large size material where a width could be more than 24 inches. The steel frame protects the small portable table saw from bumps and falls at the construction site. The DEWALT tool overload protection system provides high performance when working on hard, frozen, or wet wood material.
- Tilt angle lock with large scale for ease of adjustment
- Precision cast table increases cutting accuracy
- Small dimensions and weight.
- Heavy weight
The Main Characteristics of Portable Table Saw
Portable table saws are designed for professional constructions and amateur garden work. They are distinguished by high power, precise accuracy, a diameter of the disk, and many additional functions. The table aw remains motionless and the processed material moves along a disk. Folding table saw is suitable for precise cutting of materials at different angles. The cut depth may vary from 1.6 to 2.8 inches. The choice of a table circular saw depends on several criteria:
- saw power;
- blade rotation speed;
- blade type and size;
- the size of the table and its additional elements.
For longer working hours, it is better to choose a tool with more power. Before thinking about how to choose a small table saw for home use, you have to determine what materials you will cut. For example, if the tool is needed to work with small workpieces, then it is enough to consider a small table saw for model making.
I want to provide you a list of frequently used blades for different materials and types of cuts so that you can choose the best one to use:
- ATV teeth are designed to work with wood;
- FWF teeth are used for working with fiberboard;
- TCG cutters are responsible for cutting chipboard and aluminum materials;
All information about the blades type you can find on the back of the tool:
- the first digit indicates the size of the cutting element;
- the second informs about the number of teeth;
- the third digit indicates the diameter of the blade itself.
How to Use a Portable Table Saw
In order not to get injured during the work with the table saw and extend the life of the tool, you need to learn how to use the portable table saws. For safe operation, as well as to extend the life of the saw, you have to follow the certain rules:
- When working with the table saw, do not use any methods of hard fixing the work materials to prevent the damage of the table saw or its stand.
- It is unacceptable to hold any part of the blade saw with your hands or body when it is in ON mode.
- Do not overload the tool with materials not intended for your table saw model.
- It is necessary to purchase special glasses and a respirator for protection.
- Before replacing the saw blade, make sure that the device is unplugged.
- Clean up your workplace regularly.
- It is not permissible to work in loose clothing; it may fall into a moving mechanism and cause injury.
- Do not use the saw to implement tasks that exceed its capabilities. For example, to cut a thick solid log with an inexpensive amateur saw.
How to Make a Portable Table Saw Stand
You can make a stand for a circular saw without special preparation. It will let you create a convenient workplace and save money. To prevent mistakes, you need to carefully prepare for the manufacturing process, find out all the nuances of the preparation and execution of work. Your future stand has to meet the following requirements:
- stable and rigid design;
- flat and smooth surface;
- have a place for wood waste;
- equipped with protective shields.
Necessary tools and materials for the work process
First, you need to choose the material for the working surface of the table. Most often, these are plywood or chipboard, or other varieties of wood material. After installation, they require additional processing to protect against moisture and subsequent damage.
To build a homemade table for a circular saw, you will need:
- Work Surface material-wood 0.8 inches thickness or more.
- The beam for frame construction. In most cases, the wood is used. It is necessary to prepare 5 beams.
- Wooden dowels for fastening. It is better to take with a margin, they are inexpensive.
- Metal mounts. Minimum 4 pcs.
- Metal corners. 10 pieces.
- Self-tapping bolts.
- Manufacturing steps
To show you as an example, I take an old table to make it as a stand for the table saw. If this is not the case, then before the work described below, you need to make another basis.
By previously prepared dimensions, a work surface is cut out. An important characteristic is the thickness of the countertops, which has to be more than 0.8 inches. If possible, you should mill and sand the edges of the board. This is important not only for the beautiful appearance of the structure but also for its durability and comfort.
Make a hole for a circular saw in the countertop. Remember that it has to match the size of the blade. Besides, on the surface of the countertop, you need to draw a place for the installation and fastening of the saw.
When holes are made on the work surface, turn over the countertop. Use self-tapping screws and steel corners to firmly connect these two parts of the machine. By the way, for the installation process of the saw to get more convenient, the countertop can not be fixed right away.
The power supply system and turning on the device are being equipped. The design provides for the saw to always be on, so we need clamps to fix the corresponding button. Starting and stopping the machine will be controlled by turning the power on and off. Therefore, you will need a conventional switch, cable, and socket.
Make the frame for convenient work with a transverse cut. You can make such a carriage from a thin base and two low walls. For this, wood and plywood are suitable. To make the structure movable, guides for the table are prepared. These can be small parts of a steel pipe with a cross-section of 2×1 cm. Then mount in grooves the pipe sections that are previously cut by a milling cutter. Such a simple design will significantly increase the capabilities and comfort of the machine.
The accuracy of the work is important, so the mill has to be equipped with a marking ruler. With the help of a milling cutter, make a small groove for installing the ruler. If there is no such tool, then the groove can be prepared with a chisel. You should carefully treat the surface of the countertop with a grinder and sandpaper. Fix the line with self-tapping bolts. This modification will allow you to cut the material with precise accuracy.
What Is the Best RPM for a Portable Table Saw
For safe operation, the possible rotational speed of the blade must exceed the maximum permissible rotational speed of the tool spindle. The maximum possible rotational speed of the circle varies with the size of the blade. The consequences of excess rotation are the danger of serious injury, reduced blade life, and loss of quality. The higher the speed, the better the following characteristics:
- Less chance of jamming of the disc in the workpiece.
- Dense materials are easier to process.
- Needs less torque.
- Clean cut line.
How to Change a Table Saw Blade?
The new blade must be installed in the following sequence:
- Clean the pulley and protect it from accumulated dirt and sawdust
- Check the correct direction of the cutting teeth following the arrow on the protective shield
- Put the canvas on the pulley and lower the protective shield.
- Install the washer and tighten the bolt.
- Tighten it again with the recessed locking spindle.
Important! For circular saws from different manufacturers, the direction of unscrewing the bolt (clockwise or counterclockwise) may differ. If this index is missing on the case, check the exact direction in the instructions for this saw.
Which Portable Table Saw to Choose for Beginner?
For beginners, it is often difficult to choose the best compact table saw due to the variety of characteristics and options. Therefore, to simplify your task, I will gladly share some solutions for this case.
If you are choosing a saw for the house:
- As a rule, a circular saw is necessary for the household only for repairs. This is an occasional use. It does not make sense to purchase expensive powerful models for such purposes. It is better to choose a medium-sized lightweight portable table saw.
If you are choosing a saw for a summer residence:
- In the summer cottage, there is always a need to repair or build something: a barn for household equipment, a gazebo, a doghouse, a house for children’s games, or a fence. For these purposes, you need a solid best portable table saw with a large blade.
How to Use a Table Saw Safely?
When working on a mobile table saw, you have to follow the several operating rules:
- Before sawing of wood, it is necessary to check whether there are screws or other excess parts on the workpieces since contact with these materials can lead to breakage of the saw;
- To replace the blade, you must completely disconnect the tool from the electrical outlet;
- You always have to check whether the cutting workpiece is suitable for the blade that you use;
- After starting the motor, you need to wait until the equipment reaches its maximum speed
- After finishing work, check the protective cover, it should return to its original position.
When working with a circular saw, it is forbidden to:
- Turn on the circular saw if the workpiece is in contact with the cutting blade
- Use a poorly sharpened blade
- Make excessive pressure on the workpiece, which can lead to a loss of engine speed and further overheating
- Leave the tool dirty: after each use, it should be thoroughly cleaned.
For the Safe Work Use the Best Portable Table Saw
The circular saw is not as difficult a garden tool as it seems at first glance. If there is a need to work not only with wood, you can choose a circular saw for wood, and then purchase interchangeable blades for cutting plastic or sheet aluminum. I would like to pay your attention once again that any tool should be chosen based on the tasks that you intend to solve with its help. I hope my small table saw reviews will be useful to you in the future purchase of the best small table saw and will make the work more secure.
If you have already used one of these circular saws, share your experience! Also, if you already have similar gardening equipment and you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them!