Best Sliding Miter Saw: The Ultimate Guide 2020
If you like crafting, you’ve probably faced situations when you had to spend several hours creating mitered corner cuts. Buying the best sliding miter saw solves such problems. As you know, I am adopted by wood-crafting, so I know how hard it can be to create a really useful tool fast and without effort. Side saws allow you to short the time of even the most complicated angled cuts. They do it smoothly and effectively. But there are many nuances that you should take into account while choosing the sliding miter saw. Today, I want to dwell on them. In this article, we will raise the following questions:
- What is the sliding miter saw?
- What types of miter saw are there? Is it true that all slide saws can be used at home?
- How to choose the best one? What factors should you consider?
- How to maintain miter saw?
Alongside these questions, I also decided to collect the best rank of slide miter saws. All of them were evaluated by the number of features, including the country where the particular saw was manufactured, shipping opportunities, and materials quality. Let’s start with it!
Best Sliding Compound Miter Saw: Products Reviews
- 1 Best Sliding Compound Miter Saw: Products Reviews
- 1.1 DEWALT DWS779 12″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw – My Top Pick
- 1.2 Metabo C10FCGS, 10 in — Best Sliding Miter Saw for the Money
- 1.3 Bosch CM10GD — Saw With a 60-Tooth Carbide Blade
- 1.4 Makita LS1019L – 10″ Miter Saw With Laser
- 1.5 Hitachi C12RSH2 12-inch – Sliding Miter Saw
- 1.6 DEWALT DWS715 12-Inch Miter Saw
- 1.7 Delta S26-262L 10″ Miter Saw with Laser
- 2 Buyer’s Guide and FAQ Section: Everything You Need to Know
- 3 Miter Saw: What Model Do You Plan to Purchase?
When I was planning this article, I wanted to discuss the general rules of choosing the miter saw first. After that, I planned to put the most popular questions on this topic. Finally, I would place sliding miter saw reviews. But then I realized that the most effective way to tell you about the saws is to show my best choices first and explain why I like them. Therefore, I rewrote my article and placed the section with the Products Reviews as the entry point. Here, we will discuss eight miter saws.
All of them differ by size, brand, and use case.
But despite this, the plan for each saw will be the same:
- Firstly, I will discuss the company that manufactures the saw. I will tell you about the history of the brand, its founders, etc. Knowing the manufacturer is very important to make the first conclusions about the saw’s quality;
- After that, I will dwell on the product. Why did I decide to put it on this list? What’re the unique characteristics of the saw?
- Finally, I will summarize all the information described above and form a table with the product’s pros and cons.
I suggest starting with Metabo HPT Compound Miter Saw, which I consider as the best choice ever.
DEWALT DWS779 12″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw – My Top Pick
This sliding compound miter saw is one of the most rated saws on Amazon and other marketplaces where it is sold. DEWALT is a popular brand and the subsidiary of StanleyBlack & Decker has a 90-year history of manufacturing professional hand-held power tools and accessories. The founder of DEWALT is Raymond DeWalt, the manager of Seabrook Farms. By the way, this company developed the first radial-console saw in 1922! Power, reliability, accuracy, strength, durability are the main principles and canons of the DEWALT company.
Today, this brand is considered the number one trademark in sales of professional power tools in North America. DEWALT products are successfully used by professionals in the implementation of construction work, reconstruction of premises for various purposes as well as by non-professionals in their homes.
This DEWALT sliding compound miter saw has one of the largest blade lengths — 12 inches. Buying it, you also get a cartridge blade and one blade wrench. What’s more, the tool has a powerful and extra-efficient garbage collection mechanism that removes more than 75% of all dust generated by the saw. Please note that due to its big item’s size, the saw is quite heavy — about 60 pounds. DEWALT provides each customer with a three-year limited warranty. If you want to read the warranty rules in detail, please, visit the company’s official website.
- High-quality materials;
- It has an amazing speed — 800 RPM;
- Reliable tool.
Metabo C10FCGS, 10 in — Best Sliding Miter Saw for the Money
Metabo HPT is the subsidiary of Koki Holdings Co., Ltd. The company’s main specialization is the manufacturing of reliable and durable power tools for both home and professional use. Koki Holdings operates on all continents (except Antarctica, of course) and in hundreds of countries. The head office is located in Japan. Koki brand was established in 1948. To provide better management, they decided to open several subsidiaries, each of them is focused on a couple of markets and tools only. For example, Metabo HPT operates on only two markets: Canada and the USA. It manufactures drills, pneumatic nailers, saws, and other power tools. The company is well-known for the quality of materials they use and its customer-oriented business approach.
As for me, this Compound Miter Saw is one of the best picks. It has the following characteristics:
- Weight: 24.5 pounds;
- Dimensions: 20.08 x 15.35 x 14.17 inches;
- The source of power is electricity;
- The voltage is 120 volts;
- Blade length: 10 inches.
The sliding circular saw has a very powerful 15 AMP motor that is perfectly great even for the toughest cutting jobs! By the way, the manufacturers also take care of your safety and for this reason – they created the horizontal handle. Each customer gets the five-year warranty from the Metabo HPT company, therefore, you can be sure that in case of bad saw’s working, you can always get your money back.
- This miter saw by Metabo HPT is a high-quality tool for an affordable price;
- 5-year warranty;
- The blade is 10 inches.
- No batteries. To use this saw, you always have to be connected to the electricity source.
Bosch CM10GD — Saw With a 60-Tooth Carbide Blade
Bosch needs no introduction, as it is well known all over the world. However, I still consider it important to say a few words about this brand. Bosch is a leading global provider of technology and services in automotive and industrial technology, consumer products, construction, and packaging technology. The company pays significant attention and uses all the possible resources to succeed in innovative developments. In 2015, Bosch invested about 6.3 billion euros in research and development and filed applications for 5422 patents worldwide. The Bosch Group of Companies includes Robert Bosch GmbH and approximately 440 subsidiaries and regional companies in about 60 countries. Bosch is represented in almost 150 countries.
This miter saw is highly accurate and convenient in use as a wood-crafting tool. It includes the following items: 10-Inch dual-bevel glide miter saw, 60-tooth blade, material clamp, and dust bag. Buying this saw by Bosch, you can be sure that you get an effective tool for smooth cutting corners. Unfortunately, alongside these pros, the tool has a minus — its price.
Makita LS1019L – 10″ Miter Saw With Laser
Makita Corporation was founded in 1915. At the beginning of its establishment, the company focused on lighting fixtures, motors, and transformers selling and repairing. After years of development and testing, Makita began to specialize in the production of electric motors. 1935 is the year when the company started to export them abroad. In 1958, Makita announced the manufacturing of the first power tool — the hand-held electric grinder.
Makita’s worldwide experience began with the founding of Makita U.S.A., Inc. in the United States, which was the first foreign company. The active growth of the company lasted during the ‘70s, ‘80s, and ‘90s until 2010. Today, Makita is a leading manufacturer of power tools in Japan, and a recognized world leader. Makita Corporation is also a well-known manufacturer of forestry and horticultural tools and has more than 320 cordless tools. Moreover, Makita Corporation is actively working on creating a recycling system that combines respect for the environment with the economy.
The company developed long-term goals related to energy conservation, reducing carbon dioxide emissions, achieving zero emissions from waste, reducing the use of certain chemicals, and complying with environmental measures by setting annual quantitative values for these purposes. Therefore, you can easily find power tools that use light and durable lithium-ion batteries among their products.
Let’s return to the Makita Sliding compound miter saw. Due to its advanced direct-drive gearbox, linear ball bearing, and guard systems, the tool provides you with the extra accurate cuts! Therefore, you can enjoy the wood crafting and do not worry about the details. The saw is made of the metal and has 2-steel rail sliders that decrease the saw’s footprint. The tool comes with a laser. It is not a battery-powered, as such, you have to put it near the electricity source. The motor is 15 AMP and has a soft start. By the way, this sliding compound miter saw works very quietly.
- Quite working;
- Made from the steel;
- Has many positive reviews from the customers.
- Not battery powered.
Hitachi C12RSH2 12-inch – Sliding Miter Saw
Metabo HT, the manufacturer of this miter saw, is the German-based company that was founded in 1923. This year, Albrecht Schnitzler, the company’s founder, made the first hand drill. From its name (Metallbohrdreher – drill for metal) came the name of the company Metabo. It seems to me that it is important to mention that Hitachi is just the old name of Metabo HPT. Today, it employs more than 1,800 employees. Metabo has 25 subsidiaries and 90 representative offices in almost all countries of the world.
The company offers network power tools and pneumatic tools and develops leading battery technologies. Metabo owns more than 700 patents and rights. I noticed that the company is always seeking new and innovative ways to design, develop, and distribute the tools. Therefore, the slogan “when you need reliability” is the key principle of the Metabo HPT brand on the international market.
This saw offers the advanced laser system, which delivers you the extra accuracy cutting edges. The motor is 15 AMP. The tool has a compact slide system that allows the saw head to slide softly along the fixed rails. Moreover, it has an ergonomic design with a rounded horizontal handle. Such an approach reduces the miter saw’s vibrations during its working. The tool comes with several other items: blade, dust bag, vise ass’y, box wrench, and holder. One of the minuses is the saw’s price. It offers many features and high-quality materials, therefore, the price is very high.
- Lightweight miter saw: it weighs only about 60 pounds;
- Powerful: the wattage is 1520 watts;
- Requires the source of electricity to work, no batteries.
DEWALT DWS715 12-Inch Miter Saw
It is quite a rare situation when I put two or more products from one manufacturer in my review. As a rule, the company has only one item that is almost perfect — its bestseller. All other goods, as a rule, imitate bestsellers or significantly inferior to them. For example, in order to lower the price of other products in the line, manufacturers usually use medium quality materials or remove some functionality, while also reducing the warranty period as a ‘pleasant’ bonus. As I have already told you before – the DEWALT company is a subsidiary of StanleyBlack& Decker. This parent company has been operating for more than 90 years on the market; despite this fact, the DEWALT company is always seeking ways to improve its products.
By the way, DEWALT, as the brand, was created in 1995 but, today, it is a leader company’s brand! It offers a broad assortment of crafting tools and accessories:
- Power tools: lamella milling cutter, edging milling cutter, eccentric vibratory grinder, belt grinder, cross-cut miter saw, universal miter saw, sliding miter saw, miter saw with top table, and so on;
- Tools: percussion drill, hammerless drill, drill mixer, electromagnetic drill, diamond drill, tile cutter, SDS-plus puncher, SDS-Max puncher, jackhammer, vacuum cleaner, etc;
- Accessories: SDS-plus Extrem DeWALT drill, SDS-Max drill, Extrem drill for bricks, universal drill, metal drill, solid carbide drill DeWALT XLR, screw drill, core drill, Extrem drill bit, SDS-Max drill bit, hexagonal drill bit, hexagon bit, etc.
Each product comes with a warranty. The average period is ranging from one year to five years. This 12-inches miter saw has a 4000 RPM speed, making it one of the fastest miter saws on the market. By the way, the motor is 15 AMP. Users can adjust the saw as they wish. It all depends on the distributor. Also, I highly recommend you buy a saw from the company’s official website or from its official distributor. The reason is very simple: DEWALT makes plenty of discounts and special offers on this product very often.
- It has a high speed;
- 12-inches blade;
- No batteries.
Delta S26-262L 10″ Miter Saw with Laser
This saw by Delta is considered as the professional miter saw with a laser. But let’s not deviate from our plan and begin our discussion with the manufacturer. Today, Delta Power Equipment Corporation is one of the most recognizable woodworking tools manufacturers. It has a very long brand history that started about 100 years ago. As the Dewalt company, Delta decided that the accuracy, reliability of its products, and precision should be the main principles of the company.
Following them, Delta quickly became the market leader. As you know, I have many friends working in wood crafting, and each of them uses the Delta tools. The company ships the products abroad, therefore, not only the American professionals are able to use them. The company has a large assortment of products. Here, you can find a broad range of stationary woodworking tools, like saws, drilling machines, lathes, planers, and dust collectors. Each product was designed and manufactured in Delta.
Moreover, the company has a department whose main goal is to distribute goods around the world.
This professional miter saw is sold at an affordable price, and, unlike previously mentioned miter saw, is battery powered. As such, you can use this tool everywhere, and do not worry about the source of electricity. The voltage is 120 volts and the wattage — 1800 watts. By the way, Delta miter saw is very lightweight and has a pretty compact size: the dimensions are 14.53 x 17.52 x 22.05 inches. It is the second important argument why you should consider buying this wood-crafting tool: it is battery powered and lightweight. I am sure that Delta power master miter saw will be a great addition to your workshop or a good gift to a friend-woodcrafter.
- Versatile tool;
- Affordable price;
- Lightweight and small in size;
- The provided warranty is only for three years;
- Available in one color.
Buyer’s Guide and FAQ Section: Everything You Need to Know
In this section, I want to tell you a little bit more about a sliding miter saw. After reading this information, you will know:
- What are the main saw’s characteristics? What features should you consider first when choosing the miter saw?
- What should you buy a sliding miter saw for?
- What are the dual compound miter saw and miter box?
- How to carry a miter saw about so you can use it longer?
- What are the main saw’s characteristics?
There are many factors you should take into account when you select the saw for purchasing. First of all, I always advise determining the purpose of use: it will help you to divide the saws on professional and home ones.
After that, evaluate and compare the following characteristics:
- Speed: the tool’s speed influence the cuts’ clearness and sharpness;
- Size of blade: as you can notice from my review, the average size of the blade is 10-12 inches. What is better? Everything depends on your purposes. Longer blades mean longer cuts. As the practice shows, the 10-inch saws are also cheaper;
- Electric brakes: it is a premium feature, therefore, the saws with electric brakes will be quite expensive. It stops the blade in about 2 seconds. To compare, the blades without brakes continue to work in around 12 seconds after you stop it;
- Laser guides/ guide lights: laser shows you in advance the place where the blade will cut. As such, you can get more accurate cuts. Please note, that laser is good only for indoor use, as it is hardly noticed under the bright light;
- Sliding rails: is like a way on which the header can move forward and backward.
Why use a sliding miter saw?
The power miter saw allows you to create bevels at any range without efforts. A sliding miter saw can do everything that the non-sliding one can do. The most noticeable difference is that with the sliding saw, you can put the blade towards and down what allows you to cut a much wider board. Sliding saws are much more versatile than the non-sliding, but the price is higher too.
What is a dual compound miter saw?
Unlike common miter saw, the compound ones can be rotated. But, as a rule, the compound miter saw can be tilted on the left side only. With the dual compound miter saw, you can adjust the blades to both directions: right and left. As such, you can make cuts in any direction. And believe me, all of them will be accurate and precise. Such saws allow you to sharply increase the speed and efficiency of working.
What is a miter box?
A miter box is a carpentry tool that has the shape of a tray. The main function of the miter box is board cutting (also any other profile lumber) at an angle; it is usually between 45 °and 90 °. As a rule, the miter boxes are made of plastic, sometimes from wood or aluminum alloys. The principle of working is very simple:
- First of all, you need to place the material in the tray of the miter box (sometimes pressed by a clamp);
- Then, you should see it through the side slots. To work with the miter box, a special saw is used with a hard high blade and a small tooth, as a rule, without wiring (slotting).
What is the best sliding miter saw for home use?
Frankly speaking, all the miter saws presented in my review perfectly suit home use. You may choose among them or any other item, which is not mentioned in this article. Just do not forget to follow this evaluation guide:
- Check the company that manufactures the saw, for how long has it been operating on the market?
- Check the materials. In the vast majority of cases, the saw is made from the stainless steel;
- Evaluate the warranty term;
- Read the reviews from other customers.
How to change blade on miter saw?
To change the blade on the miter saw, you may follow these five simple steps:
- First of all, disconnect the miter saw plug;
- After that, you should tap the spindle lock to loosen the bolt;
- Remove the blade accurately;
- Change the blade;
- Finally, press the spindle lock again and tight the bolt.
Also, you should remember that these rules are general. I advise you to search on the Internet for how to change the blade specifically for your miter saw.
How do you clean a miter saw blade?
For this, you should firstly remove the blade from the saw. Then follow three first steps from the previous section. After that, accurately wash the blade using soap or other cleaning products. Finally, dry it and put it back to the miter saw.
Miter Saw: What Model Do You Plan to Purchase?
In this article, I tried to cover all the topics and popular questions about dual sliding and radial miter saw. I hope it was useful information for you. Now, you know what companies are the best on the market, what is the price range, and what product’s characteristics you should consider before buying the miter saw.
By the way, have you already decided which saw you want to buy? If yes, write in the comments below, explain the reason which made you think so. If no, share with us your doubts or ask additional questions. I will respond to all of them as soon as possible!