Hey there. Ronnie Collins (aka the Wood Whisperer) here. Today, I’m going to talk about mini drill presses. Chances are you already own a portable drill, so why purchase the best mini drill press? First and foremost, drill presses offer a significantly more refined piercing potential and more power compared to typical cordless drills. Second, drill presses are just the ticket if you’re on a mission to tackle technically complex and challenging carpentry and/or metalworking projects.
In this post, I’m going to review a selection of some of the miniature drill press models I (and my colleagues) have ever used, covering their functions as well as outlining their pros and cons. If your experience with drill presses differs from mine, you’re free to add your two cents in the comments under this post. I appreciate your feedback greatly. Now, read on, have fun analyzing, and focus on the small drill presses for jewelry making or woodworking on the scene.
7 Best Mini Drill Press Reviews
- 7 Best Mini Drill Press Reviews
- 1. WEN Mini Drill Press for All Possible Surfaces
- 2. DRL-300.00 – Compact Drill Press Review
- 3. SKIL Small Drill Press for Weekend Woodworkers
- 4. WEN – Small Precision Drill Press with Laser
- 5. Genesis Mini Drill Press for Quality Drilling
- 6. SE 97511MDP – Jewelry Drill Press
- 7. Jet Drill Press: Feature-Packed and Long-Lasting
- Cutting to the Chase: Its Decision Making Time!
Throughout my career, I’ve tested all the drill presses from this post, so you can be absolutely sure that I’m officially a drill press maniac now. Jokes apart, now that I’ve test-driven all these mini drill presses (and more), you can be absolutely sure that my reviews are honest and experience-based. I’m here to genuinely assist you in purchasing the best small drill press for your most precise requirements. So, let’s get the review party started.
1. WEN Mini Drill Press for All Possible Surfaces
- Swing: 12 Inch
- Number of Speeds: Variable Speeds
- Speed Range: 580 to 3200 RPM
- Amperage: 5 Amps
- Chuck Capacity: 5/8 Inch
WEN has been manufacturing various power tools for decades. The company was established in 1951, with a major focus on building quality and affordable machines. Since then, WEN’s engineers have developed countless tools for both DIYers and power users. Irrespective of your choice, all their models invariably boast great performance and reasonable pricing.
As for the WEN 4214 model, this no-experience-necessary powerful drilling beast is exceptionally easy to set up and utilize. With its robust induction motor, this drilling gear delivers the essential power you need to handle all possible surfaces, e.g. plastic, glass, hardwoods, wear-resistant steel, etc.
The 3 ⅛-in. spindle travel allows perfectly smooth drilling through any surface up to 3 ⅛-in. thick. The equipment gives you a splendid possibility to hop to the exact speed you require in a snap (between 580 and 3200 RPM) by simply moving a lever while completing all the required tasks. No more manual belt adjustment for you!
- 1 WEN 4214 12-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press,Orange
The drilling unit performs its key functions splendidly, granting you the option of drilling clean holes through both pine and steel without breaking a sweat. That being said, if you’re a DIY type of person aiming at refining your carpentry potential, this drill press is what you should consider purchasing.
- Super easy to put together
- Moving belts between pulleys manually to facilitate speed changes is no longer a necessity
- LED and laser boost precision
- The machine’s powerful motor easily drills through an array of objects
- This equipment is more than affordable
- Regulating the height of the construction can be challenging
2. DRL-300.00 – Compact Drill Press Review
- Swing: 5 Inch
- Number of Speeds:3 speeds
- Speed Range: to 8,500 RPM
- Amperage: 3 Amps
- Chuck Capacity: 0,5 Inch
Another compact and reasonably priced drill press model, the DRL 300, is the exact item you need if you’re in search of a drilling tool for a myriad of home projects. Even though the tool is small in size, it’s everything but flimsy. And it’s good at drilling holes in multiple types of plastic, metallic, and wooden items.
The DRL 300 spins at the speed of 8,500 RPM maximum (featuring 3-speed settings in total) and is powered by a small yet top-quality 110 Volt electric motor. Sporting some of the smallest weight and measurements I’ve seen on a drilling tool, the DRL 300 unit won’t take up much of your storage space.
Having said all that, if you’re hunting for a cost-effective drilling unit to make occasional holes while working on your domestic projects, the DRL 300 model is exactly what you need. This little device may not be perfect for all your drilling projects, but it’s ideal for you if you’re a woodworking DIY enthusiast in search of a reliable tool for your projects.
- Stable base & easy-to-get-to-grips-with controls
- Small-sized, lightweight, and maneuverable
- Solid and reliable construction
- Variable speed settings
- It’s reasonably priced
- Not the most comprehensive manual out there
3. SKIL Small Drill Press for Weekend Woodworkers
- Number of Speeds:5 Speed
- Speed Range: 750-3,050 RPM
- Amperage: 3.2 Amps
- Chuck Capacity:1/2-Inch
This 10-inch drill press from SKIL offers thousands of homeowners and handymen around the world a compact benchtop drilling tool utilized to complete a multitude of woodworking tasks. The sturdy unit is pretty easy to set up, especially if you follow the directions in its informative, well-written manual.
At 52.2lbs, this item is not too heavy as compared to its analogs within the same price tag. Its overall construction gives the tool a clean and professional look while emphasizing its undeniable usability. Thanks to the machine’s tiltable workbench, you can utilize it to make angled holes in the blink of an eye.
The SKIL 3320-01 model features a powerful 3.2-amp motor that achieves up to 3,050 RPM speed and allows the unit to handle a wide selection of materials. Bear in mind, however, that while the motor of this drill press copes easily with wood and thin metal sheets, I wouldn’t recommend using it on the super-hard stuff. Despite this minor flaw (or, rather, an important specification for you to take into account), the SKIL 3320-01 unit is among the best mini drill press tools within its price category.
- (1) SKIL 3320 10-Inch Drill Press Motor Unit, (1) Cast Iron Base and Work Table, (2) AA Batteries, (1) Chuck Key
In other words, if you’re on the prowl for a top-of-the-line drilling machine that offers better performance in precise holes and flaunts a stable base, then the SKIL 3320-01 10-inch drill press is just what you need to order. It’s durable, efficient, and inexpensive — such a rare combination nowadays, don`t you agree? So make sure you take a closer look at this device prior to making your final decision.
- Relatively easy to set up following a detailed manual
- Durable & reliable construction
- Handles a variety of materials
- Laser system for better accuracy
- Adjustable workstation
- Choosing the necessary speed can be challenging
- The unit’s laser system requires AA batteries
4. WEN – Small Precision Drill Press with Laser
- Swing: 10 Inch
- Number of Speeds: 5 Speeds
- Speed Range: 600 to 3100 RPM
- Amperage: 3.2 Amps
- Chuck Capacity: 1/2 Inch
Another excellent mini drill press for you to check out prior to arriving at any conclusion is the 4210T model from WEN. This 10-inch unit comes with a laser guiding system, which enhances the performance (read as precision) of the tool immensely. Yes, this drill press is manufactured in China. But it’s budget-friendly and excellent-quality! Moreover, the device is sturdy, reliable, easy to assemble, and doesn’t make too much noise.
With regard to its performance, the 4210T model boasts a decent drilling potential, user-friendly functionality, and flexible metallic ‘body’. By making the best of this gem of a machine, you will get to adjust the most convenient speed based on the tool’s five-speed settings, varying from 600 RPM to 3,100 RPM.
- Drill Press
This little drill beast features a solid induction motor with roller bearings aimed at prolonging the tool’s service life (particularly when you have to work on challenging carpentry projects). In addition to this, the WEN 4210T unit comes with a handy work light feature. Therefore, you can use it practically in the dark. To cut a long story short, this small-sized model offers great value for your money.
- Laser guiding system for maximum precision
- Works smoothly and efficiently
- It’s easy on your wallet
- Spacious and bendable table
- Ideal hobby drill press for DIY lovers
- Some people find the unit a bit on the heavier side
- Some users don’t find the laser handy
5. Genesis Mini Drill Press for Quality Drilling
- Swing: 10 Inch
- Number of Speeds: 5 Speeds
- Speed Range: 620 to 3070 RPM
- Amperage: 4.1 Amp
- Chuck Capacity: 5/8 Inch
Are you rummaging the net for the best mini drill press reviews? Look no further. Here, you will find everything you need for quality drilling. The Genesis GDP1005A 10-inch 5-speed drill press is a device that’s definitely worth your time and attention.
This tool is equipped with a powerful 4.1-amp motor that makes drilling even through the hardest surfaces as easy as ABC. In contrast with other (cheaper) devices, this drill press can both rotate and tilt. Therefore, your drilling process automatically becomes faster and more comfortable.
If you often work at night (or in a dimly-lit room), this drill press features the integrated work light feature, which will help you see the process (and results) of your work perfectly well even at nighttime. Furthermore, this item is pretty tiny even compared to the rest mini drill presses within my selection. So it’s definitely going to save storage space in your home — and you can move it around the way you please.
- Power Drill Chucks
If you’ve been into carpentry (or any other type of work, for that matter), you’re probably aware that gearing up with the right equipment is crucial. Choosing this particular drill press for your carpentry projects is very wise as it meets all the important criteria in terms of giving you the best woodworking results. Overall, it’s a very good starter tool.
- Works efficiently and quietly
- Set-up is a piece of cake
- Precise and powerful
- A boatload of useful features
- 2-year warranty from the manufacturer
- Can operate rather noisily when used at its maximum strength
- Some people say they could use a larger table
6. SE 97511MDP – Jewelry Drill Press
- Swing: 7-1/2 Inch
- Number of Speeds: 3 speeds
- Speed Range: 5000 to 8000 RPM
- Amperage: 3 Amps
- Chuck Capacity: 1/4 Inch
Are you on the hunt for the best mini drill press for jewelry making? Then the SE97511MDP 3-speed tool is what you should definitely set your laser focus on. The thing is, this instrument has a maximum drill capacity of 6mm; therefore, it contributes to the most precise drilling practices.
This drilling machine is extremely straightforward and user-friendly. So if you’re a jeweler, woodworker, or hobbyist who’s in need of a lightweight drilling tool that doesn’t come with a number of confusing settings and adjustments, this little item will suit you perfectly. Moreover, it’s compact, so you can carry and position it easily anywhere you like.
- Mini Bench Drill
Overall, the SE97511MDP device is ideal for general drilling purposes. It may seem a bit smaller than some of the previously discussed models. But it’s definitely strong and massive enough to deliver great results. And it’s not going to cost you a fortune, which makes the machine a great choice for beginner DIY aficionados.
- Small-sized, vibration-free, lightweight, and versatile
- The best drill press for jewelry making and home DIY projects
- Spacious work surface
- The wisest investment if you want to enhance your woodworking experience
- Excellent for drilling small holes (jewelers drill press’ best friend)
- Not the best choice for medium-sized projects
7. Jet Drill Press: Feature-Packed and Long-Lasting
- Swing: 17-Inch
- Number of Speeds: 16 Speeds
- Speed Range: 210 to 3500 RPM
- Amperage: 13 Amps
- Chuck Capacity: 5/8 Inch
Overall, the JET Tools company has been on the market for over 60 years already (fancy that!). Their engineers have been producing high-quality and innovative power tools for decades, focusing on such parameters as the highest quality and reliability.
As for this particular model, I test-drove this tool a few months ago. It’s manufactured in China (what isn’t anymore!), but man, this honey looks sleek — and it was definitely designed for a brilliant performance. With its detailed user manual, you will definitely cope with assembling this compact-sized beast. You might need a friend to help you lift the head onto the stand, though.
- Drill Press, Base, Column, Table
Are you looking for a top-of-the-line drill press for your woodshop? You don’t have to endlessly analyze drill press options and do any more time-consuming research. Study this machine’s detailed specs on its seller’s page and stick with this rock-solid performer — you will love it, I promise. Overall, it’s the most bang for the buck you can possibly find for a floor drill press model.
- Well-made and runs super smoothly
- Integrated light and laser are of great help
- Changing speeds is as easy as pie
- Large table, excellent for woodworking
- 5-year warranty from the manufacturer
- A bit on the heavier side
- Not a breeze to set up compared to the units reviewed above
Cutting to the Chase: Its Decision Making Time!
Buying the right woodworking equipment can take up heaps of your time — mostly because the process involves hours of review research and analysis. Prior to making a purchase, you should definitely take into account such vital criteria as the press drill size, type, power, speed, and adjustability. Now that you’ve familiarized yourself with my selection of the best mini drill press units, you are more than ready to buy the right drilling tool.
So, if your drill press is like 100 years old now (or if you’re looking to buy the first drill press for a variety of your DIY projects), you cannot go wrong with the equipment I’ve reviewed above. In fact, some of those tools may even feel like stepping into the future, due to their innovative features, smooth operation, quietness, and top-notch precision. Feel free to share your drill press reviews in the comment section below. Your feedback is very important.