While some people may consider plasma cutters to be expensive toys to have at home, there are several exceptions you may enjoy. If you are looking for the best plasma cutter you came to the right place. I have gathered here my top favorite tools that I’ve personally checked. Some of them I am still using at work and home. This tool may be costly, but it does its work splendidly, making clean cuts. Apart from that, you can always find a cheaper version that runs on inverter technology.
Plasma cutters are effective and reliable instruments that do not heat materials while making precise cuts with the plasma torch. If you need to cut the thick materials, like metal, plasma is your choice.
There are numerous models on the market nowadays. I have selected here five top-rated plasma cutters you can use anywhere. They are powerful and transportable at the same time. Each of them has its own specifics that I’ll describe below. If you want to find the most helpful option for you, read all the descriptions and check out the pros and cons including power, features, and even weight. Don’t forget to plan your budget in advance.
Top-5 Best Plasma Cutters for Everyone
Do you want to know what is the best plasma cutter? This list contains the most reliable options that cope with different hard materials in no time. Read the description, and find the one or two that match your goals.
1. Lotos LT5000D – Top Pick Best Plasma Cutter with Dual Voltage
This model has an air inverter technology inside. While the tool is compact, it provides outstanding cutting performance. It’s my personal choice, the tool I’ve been using for several years.
Lotos Technology is a small American-based company from California. I have found it thanks to the high rates and numerous positive reviews. I decided to check it out since I liked the price and the features. I am using this tool for the different types of steel, aluminum, and copper.
- Dual voltage;
- Weight – 22.5 pounds;
- Works well on mild steel, alloy steel, stainless steel, copper, and aluminum;
- The thickness of the clean-cut is ½ inches, severance thickness is ¾ inches.
- The company offers a 30 days refund, which I have never used. Apart from that, this instrument has a 3 years warranty.
As for the major performance, this particular plasma cutter is extremely useful. There is a dual voltage in this tool, the automatic one, and dual-frequency. The cut is clean on ½ inches and ¾ inches maximum under 220V. With 110V you can make up to 2/5 inches clean cut.
You can pick the consumable sets for this tool among other Lotos products, just make sure that they are compatible. Anyway, in the package, you will find enough details to start your work, including a cutting torch, power supply, clamp, type D ¼ inches plug, accessories, a regulator of the air filters, and a detailed manual. This tool is simple to navigate by following the instructions you receive. You can start the work in 1 minute, having quickly assembled it. Once you are done with your work, don’t forget to hide this instrument far from any moisture.
- Works with a wide range of materials;
- ¾ inches cuts;
- Dual voltage: automatic and dual-frequency;
- A 3 years warranty;
- Affordable price.
- Although it is great for multiple tasks, if you need to cut through harder and thicker materials you may need to opt for a more powerful industrial instrument.
2. PrimeWeld Cut50D – Best Home Use Plasma Cutter Runner Up
This is another air inverter with dual voltage 110V and 220V. It provides ½ inches clean cut and is considered to be the premium model when you work with metal of different thicknesses.
PrimeWeld is a trustable company from New Jersey that is known for its plasma cutters. I believe they also produce MIG and TIG welders. You can find all the accessories you need for your cutter as well. The company offers a 3 years limited warranty for this model, and you can easily consult with the support team if you need to buy more consumables. The best thing about this tool is that it is simple to install and carry around, moving from one place to another. It has a comfortable handle.
- Easy to hold and transport;
- Made of high-quality steel;
- Cuts through multiple materials;
- The dual voltage on 110V and 220 V;
- Provides 1/2 inches cuts and ¾ inches severe cuts.
The package you receive contains the torch, 6’8 inches long air filter, 9’9 inches three-prong ground clamps and a cable, 4 clamps, 6 connections of the air hose, and 2 couplers of the air hose, and instruction on how to start the work.
In real life, it is so easy to learn how everything works, mainly because all the buttons are in one place, signed, and simple for understanding even for a total newbie. The air pressure gauge is there and works steadily, and I advise you to always keep an eye on it. Don’t forget to press the power switch off once the work is done.
I have bought this cutter for my dad who needs to cut steel from time to time in his household. The official description of the cutter says it weighs 22.5 lbs, yet, I was holding it for several hours and can’t say it is heavy for me or my dad. Apart from that, I am really satisfied with the price which is slightly less than my favorite Lotos model.
- Perfect for limited outlets;
- Simple to navigate;
- Comfortable handle;
- Lightweight compared to other models;
- The price is fair and affordable.
- To cut through ½ inches is slightly difficult for unprepared users.
3. Herocut – The Best 110V Plasma Cutter Budget Pick
This is the most affordable model on the list. If you are a newcomer, who wants to buy a plasma cutter for your hobbies or random works at home, you may start with this one. It has a dual voltage as well and is a popular choice for those who need to cut through the car steel.
I am not quite familiar with the developer of this model. All I know is that it is a Chinese-based company with a trustable reputation around the world. It has produced plasma cutters for more than 15 years. This model has inverter technology inside and deals with mild steel, alloy steel, stainless steel, thin copper, and aluminum. The frequency is 50/60Hz. This model is lightweight with the handle covered with rubber on top of it.
- Portable and contains a rubber handle;
- Provides clean cuts on the different types of steel;
- Dual voltage;
- Offers 45 amp.
This model is definitely less powerful than those I’ve already mentioned above, yet, it is suitable for personal use. It is compact so you can always hide it in your barn if you need it. You will easily learn how to navigate it even without the manual. The buttons are signed. You can change the voltage and post time. There is a small digital screen that reveals the amps and the screen with the air pressure you need to watch. You can go to the 35 amps maximum with 110V, and 45 amps for 220V.
The package you receive contains the plasma cutter itself, torch with cable, 2 electrodes, air regulator, earth cable, 2 tips, air hose, power plug wire, and manual. To start the arc you have to touch the metal. I believe this instrument is perfect for making first steps and cutting thin and medium thickness steel.
- Cuts through a wide range of steel, copper, and aluminum;
- User-friendly control panel;
- Dual voltage;
- Simple to hold.
- Not powerful enough for big industrial projects.
4. Hynade HYC50DV Plasma Cutter on 230V
I can’t start this plasma cutter review without mentioning its unique stylish design and the mix of bright yellow and black colors that make the model visible anywhere you are. All the buttons and digital screens that show power are close to each other and are user-friendly.
There is a dual voltage of 115/230V. The power there is 50/60 Hz which is quite impressive, considering that the cost of the model is similar to the two first options on the list. Developers of the model are Hynade, the part of the Guangzhou Hynade Technology. The company specializes in plasma cutters and their components.
- The voltage differs from other models on the list: 115/230V;
- The long cable you can use outdoors;
- Cuts through the copper, aluminum, iron, alloy steel, stainless steel, and mild steel;
- Understandable control panel.
This is an IGBT plasma with power enough to cut a wide range of steel with a medium thickness. You can make ¼ inches precise cuts on 230V of 40 amps. It is 35 amps of under 115V if you want to spare your outlet. The torch on this cutter is 13.12ft. The cable is enough to work outside if you need it. The package includes an earth clamp, two electrodes, and two tips. The torch head is included.
Apart from that, I truly appreciate the air post adjustment where I can point out a specific time for the air to cool the head of the torch. It is a life-saver for long hours of work. According to the company, they offer 2 years warranty with the ability to receive free service, if it is required. The whole package with all the tools inside weighs only 21 pounds. This portable cutter is lightweight while incredibly powerful.
- Clean cutting of 1/3 inches;
- 115/230V power;
- Reliable work;
- The company developer is not well-known compared to others on the list.
5. Amico CTS-200 A – Mix of Powerful Plasma Cutter and Welding Machine
This machine looks impressive and it works great too. Although it is the most expensive tool on the list, I have checked its reliability and strength multiple times. Although the tool may seem huge, in reality, it is lightweight. There is an ergonomic handle that makes it portable.
Amico Electric has existed since 1995. The company mainly produces welders and plasma cutters. This American-based company offers products made in accordance with American Industrial Equipment standards. While it probably means nothing to you, I can assure you that such products are highly durable and can serve for ages. Since this is my recent acquisition I don’t have enough experience to tell you about its lifetime, yet my good friend has used the same model for several years.
- This model cuts through a wide range of metals;
- It weighs 27 pounds only;
- It allows you to cut the curves and holes.
I have already tried this tool on iron, low carbon steel, stainless steel, and aluminum alloy. I also know that it cuts through the copper, alloy steel, cast iron, pig iron, and aluminum of 4/5 inches thick. You can use the tool to make a simple straight cut or try something new, like circles, curves, and V-shaped grooves. The system is 200 amp. There is a foot pedal that simplifies your work and is perfect for welding. It has an automatic switch between 110V and 220V if you need it. There is temperature control with the fan that turns on automatically once the device gets overheated.
- Automatic 110/220V power switch;
- Automatic fan to avoid overheating;
- The widest range of metals compared to other models on the list;
- Simple to navigate;
- Made in accordance with American standards.
- More expensive than other models on the list.
Plasma Cutters: Buyer’s Guide and FAQ
These top tools are just a tiny part of everything that the market offers nowadays. If you don’t know which plasma cutter you may need in your work, you have to gather more information about this instrument. Read this section to find out details on plasma cutters.
Types of Plasma Cutting Torches
Torch is the major part of the cutter. It allows the whole tool to cut through the metal, burning it. Meanwhile, there are differences you have to take into consideration:
- Lead. While the lead may seem an unnecessary feature to consider when you are choosing the cutter, it can change your abilities in no time. Your performance usually depends on the durability of the lead and its length. You may need a long lead for projects you perform outside the house. I also recommend choosing only high-quality leads since they are safer and can’t be damaged during work;
- High-frequency torch without the touch. It offers you a small distance between the metal and the tool. It easily cuts through the material without touching the project with a nozzle. Models with this touch offer precise cuts and clean nozzles;
- Drag technology. It allows the cutter to make smooth cuts through the metal. Without it, the nozzle will stick to the metal via the fault of a double arc. If you need an accurate cut, you have to make sure you consider the drag technology. If you use the cutter to create an artwork, you will need this technology;
- Touch start. You may need this technology inside the torch. The nozzle has to touch metal to make the cutting arc. After that, it has to be lifted. The touch start requires a steady and trained hand. Yet, it provides incredible results.
Things to consider when choosing a plasma cutter:
- Portability. I have gathered only the most lightweight models that are simple to transport on the list. Make sure it has the handle if you need to bring the cutter to different projects;
- The speed of the cut. Plasma cutting speed usually describes the work of the plasma cutter. It slows down on thick metals and speeds up on thin. I have gathered here the models that provide medium speed, which is more than great for home use;
- Dimensions. If you want to carry the plasma cutter around, you need to have a compact tool. The average dimension can be close to the 20.50 inches x 10.50 inches x 16.50 inches;
- Voltage. I do recommend using dual voltage models, since they may save your electricity. The most obvious choice is 110V/220V. Meanwhile, there are numerous exceptions on the market;
- Duty cycle. The duty cycle shows the amount of time that the plasma cutter works without overheating. Usually, there is a 10 minutes cycle on numerous cutters. On 45 amp you can cut for 6 minutes before it needs 4 minutes to cool down. If you use 25 amp you can cut for 10 minutes before cooling down.
- Source of power. There are two types of sources you can choose from. One is electric and another is air pressure. The most popular is air pressure or so-called pneumatic. I prefer to work with them since they are more affordable and don’t need electric input.
Don’t rush with the decision about the plasma cutter yet. I have gathered here the most popular questions from users online. Read them, as they may help you to find out the tool you need for the cutting procedure.
What is a good plasma cutter for a beginner?
I can recommend any of the tools I have gathered on the list. The most obvious option is Lotos. Yet, you may start with Herocut, based on the budget you are ready to spend.
How many amps is a good plasma cutter?
Almost all plasma cutters I’ve worked with had 45-50 amps. I recommend choosing among them. They are less expensive but can deal with a wide range of metals.
Does the plasma cutter need any installation?
No, the plasma cutter does not require any installation. You can place it anywhere. However, you still need to gather the pieces of the cutter together before you switch it on.
Can I cut aluminum on a plasma cutter?
Yes, you can cut aluminum with a cutter. All the tools I’ve recommended here can deal with aluminum. However, you have to consider the thickness of the material in advance.
Top Plasma Cutters to Pick
I hope you have learned the major difference between the best tools and just average ones. I have provided you with a list of instruments that are all considered advanced and have an affordable price. You can easily pick one of them based on my description and user reviews.
If you have more to add, you can do it in the comments below. Tell me what are you looking for in the plasma cutter? How often do you need to use this tool in your daily life?