6,500 watts is enough to power a mid-sized house. However, wattage is not the only property to know when choosing the best 6500-watt generator. First of all, generators are divided into traditional and inverters. Traditional generators produce direct current, while inverters turn it into alternating current after producing direct current. That influence the work much: inverters fit a wider range of applications since they fit sensitive electronics.
Secondly, every modern generator has to ensure safe work. An instrument has to be equipped with sensors to monitor the main parameters: the level of oil, temperature, and the level of carbon monoxide. According to the parameters I named above, I chose WEN GN625i. This generator belongs to inverters; it monitors the oil and temperature level and has a great set of outlets.
Best 6500 Watt Generator: Traditional Generators vs. Inverters
- WEN GN625i: A Multipurpose 6500 Watts Generator – My Choice
- Briggs & Stratton Q6500: Quietest 6500 Watt Generator With a Protective Shell – Great Value
- WEN GN6000: Traditional Generator With a Wide Range of Outlets – Best Overall
- GENMAX Portable Generator: Best Inverter Generator 6500 Watts With Two Types of Fuel
- 5. Champion Power Equipment 100231: Propane Generator 6500 Watt With the Longest Runtime
Here are 5 6500 watt generator reviews to get a clearer image of the range of options you can choose from. Depending on the advantages and flaws I list, you can determine which item fits your needs best.
1. WEN GN625i: A Multipurpose 6500 Watts Generator
WEN GN625i is an inverter that generates clean power free of voltage spikes and drops. This machine allows up to 8 hours of half-load run time and provides 6,250 surge watts and 5,000 rated watts. If you don’t use the generator at full load, WEN GN625i provides the eco-mode to save fuel and extend runtime. The engine automatically adapts to the fuel consumption; it also allows for lowering the level of noise.
This model features a great choice of outlets, including a 120v RV-ready TT-30R receptacle. WEN GN625 has a user-friendly design, and the control panel shows voltage, frequency, total and session runtime. This tool provides a low-oil shutdown technology and is equipped with built-in overload protection, which prevents overheating and all the consequences it may cause.
The main properties:
- 6,250 starting watts and 5,000 running watts;
- 8 hours of half-load run time;
- 125 pounds.
I selected this model for myself since it provides eco-mode, and saving fuel was crucial. I also wanted an instrument I could carry around and travel with. WEN GN625i is relatively lightweight and features an RV-ready outlet, which makes it the multipurpose tool I was looking for.
2. Briggs & Stratton Q6500: Quietest 6500 Watt Generator With a Protective Shell
Briggs & Stratton Q6500 is another inverter generator, but it mainly differs from the previous one with its construction. Unlike all the generators on this list, this instrument has a durable protective shell that saves the internal components from damage and reduces the engine’s noise. Such construction also makes the generator easier to transport and store.
This machine provides 6,500 starting watts and 5,000 running watts and runs for about 7 hours at half a load. It is equipped with basic receptacles that might fulfill you now, but you might need an adaptor over time. I advise you to take into account which applications and instruments you are only going to buy. Briggs & Stratton Q6500 monitors the level of carbon monoxide and stops running as soon as the level of this gas becomes dangerous.
The main properties:
- 6,500 starting watts and 5,000 running watts;
- 7 hours of half-load run time;
- 145 pounds.
Due to the shell, this is the most convenient tool for carrying around, yet, it has no RV-ready outlets, so it hardly suits traveling. In my experience, such generators are perfect for everyday domestic tasks and building sites.
3. WEN GN6000: Traditional Generator With a Wide Range of Outlets
WEN GN6000 looks similar to the first item. However, they belong to different types of generators. WEN GN625i is an inverter, and WEN GN6000 is an instrument for those looking for a traditional generator. Its fuel tank is slightly smaller, so this model runs for 7.5 hours of half-load runtime, while the first instrument works an hour longer. It provides 6,000 starting watts and 5,000 running watts. Nevertheless, I believe these differences are not crucial, especially because of the wide range of outlets, including a 120V 30A RV receptacle (TT-30R).
This generator has a user-friendly display that monitors the voltage, frequency, and runtime. It has several extras like tools, oil, and straight plug-ends to rewire the ends of the 30 amp cord. It is easy to assemble, so you start as soon as you get the package.
The main properties:
- 6,000 starting watts and 5,000 running watts;
- 7.5 hours of half-load run time;
- 130 pounds.
WEN GN6000 is lightweight compared to the other generators with similar properties. It has a wider range of outlets than WEN GN625i; the most important difference makes an RV receptacle that allows traveling. This model fits different cases, and you should only be careful if you need to plug in sensitive electronics.
4. GENMAX Portable Generator: Best Inverter Generator 6500 Watts With Two Types of Fuel
The main advantage of the GENMAX portable inverter generator is the possibility of using 2 different fuel types. Powered by gas, it provides 6,000 starting watts and 5,250 running watts. In case gas is unavailable, you can use LPG. LPG gives slightly less capacity than gas, yet it is still acceptable: 5,500 starting watts and 4,750 running watts. A 3.6-gallon fuel tank provides more than 8 hours of runtime at half a load. The most important thing about this model is its safety: this tool is equipped with carbon monoxide control and shuts down automatically when the level of this gas is too high.
GENMAX portable inverter generator is the lightest generator on the list; it weighs less than 120 pounds. The protective shell safes the inner details and makes storage and transportation easier. It is quiet as the noise level reaches 62 dBA with 25%loading at 23 feet. GENMAX portable inverter generator features an easy-to-read display that shows running hours, voltage, loading, gas fuel spending, and frequency.
The main properties:
- 6,000 starting watts and 5,250 running watts by gas;
- 5,500 starting watts and 4,750 running watts by LPG;
- 8 hours of half-load run time;
- 120 pounds.
This tool is perfect if you need a portable, quiet 6500-watt generator. It fits any home tasks, whether you need to wait out a storm or fix something outdoors. However, GENMAX portable inverter generator might test your patience. This instrument is not the easiest to assemble.
5. Champion Power Equipment 100231: Propane Generator 6500 Watt With the Longest Runtime
As well as the previous item, Champion power equipment 100231 allows 2 options when choosing fuel. However, instead of LPG, it uses propane. This model provides the highest starting wattage, 6,900 watts, and 5,500 running watts. The tank contains 6 gallons of fuel, which ensures 9 hours of run time on gasoline and 6.5 hours on propane. It allows keeping track of voltage, hertz, and runtime hours.
Champion Power Equipment 100231 also features a low-oil shutdown sensor to make the engine work last as long as possible. Champion power equipment 100231 wights more than 160 pounds. It is the heaviest generator on the list.
The main properties:
- 6,900 starting watts and 5,500 running watts;
- 9 hours of run time on gasoline and 6.5 hours on propane;
- 160 pounds.
Considering all the parameters, I will advise Champion power equipment 100231 for those who want a basic, reliable tool for emergency cases. It can also be used to facilitate working outdoors, yet, it lacks the maneuverability to carry it around too often. It also provides a limited set of outlets with no RV-ready receptacle, so it is not for traveling.
Apart from the examples, you might still have practical questions. Here is the explanation of the ways you might use these machines and what you definitely should not do.
What do you need a 6,500-watt generator for?
Generator belongs to instruments that can serve in a wide variety of cases. Since they are intended for powering electrical instruments and applications independently from the power grid, you might need one in case of an emergency like a natural disaster or during a blackout. However, generators are also a common tool for traveling and camping and are lifesaving on building sites.
- 6,500-watt generators are powerful enough to source a mid-sized house. In practice, you can plug in all the applications you need to feel comfortable at home, including lighting, refrigerator, air conditioner, and other smaller devices.
- Those who keep electronic medical devices at home have even more value. You might let products in the fridge get spoiled, but no one wants to risk their health in case of a blackout.
- Some kinds of generators suit both home use and traveling. If you need a machine to carry around, RV-ready generators are perfect for this purpose. Apart from the outlets set, wight also plays an important role. You might not notice a few pounds when reading the descriptions, yet, they might annoy you in the future.
- Generators are necessary at any building site if you continue working on your own plot or need to move to another place. They can run hard-duty corded tools and power batteries of cordless instruments.
What to consider when choosing a 6500-watt generator?
As a rule, generators last for at least 15 years, so you need to foresee how you might use them and define which properties are required for you.
- Running wattage and runtime are the main parameters you need to decide if the generator meets your requirements. These figures determine if the machine will run all the devices you need to run and how long it will run at half a load.
- The type of fuel defines lots of parameters concerning capacity. Gasoline generators provide more watts than those run by diesel. On the other hand, diesel generators demand less maintenance.
- Fuel also influences your budget for running the machine, but it’s not only about the cost per gallon. However, fuel types differ by price, so fuel consumption is no less important. This parameter varies from model to model. Thus, to define the most beneficial option, you need to consider these parameters: the number of gallons, runtime, and load. Choose a few models to compare, divide the runtime by the number of gallons, and you will get the approximate amount of fuel a particular generator uses per hour.
- Consider the load you will create by using a generator in different circumstances to make your calculations more accurate. Which applications will you plug in, and how many watts do they need to start running? By comparing the sum of the watts, you require the generator’s capacity, and you will see the load, which allows for predicting the runtime.
- Talking about applications, I also advise paying attention to the type of generator. They are divided into traditional and inverters. The difference lies in the current they produce, leading to several differences in characteristics. Traditional generators only provide direct current, while inverters provide direct current and turn it into alternate current. Alternate current is cleaner and more stable, so inverters are intended for sensitive electronics like phones, laptops, computers, etc.
- Considering the applications you are going to plug in, pay attention to the set of outlets. Plan ahead and think of the applications you are going to buy. Otherwise, you might need an adapter or a few in the future. Having an RV-ready outlet is crucial if you are looking for a generator to travel with. RV-ready generator means it features TT-30R or a 14-50R outlet, allowing the recreational vehicle to plug directly into the generator without any adapters.
FAQ About 6,500 Watt Generators
After focusing on these 5 generators, let’s move to general questions that concern any instrument of this kind. They apply for ways of using and, more importantly, safety rules.
Will a 6,500-watt generator run a heat pump?
Depending on the model, a heat pump might use from about 800 to 5,000 watts. Thus a 6,500-watt generator can run an average generator, and the question is how many applications you can plug in apart from a heat pump.
Can I use my portable generator indoors?
Never use any generator indoors. Its exhaust contains poisonous carbon monoxide, which you can’t see or smell. Breathing this gas indoors leads to death in minutes.
Which oil is the best for a 6,500 generator?
There is no such thing as the best oil for every generator since every type of engine requires different treatment. Read the manual first, then consider viscosity, brand, and operating temperatures.
How long will a 6,500-watt generator run?
Depending on the number of gallons and load, a generator can run from 7 to 9 hours. The type of the machine also matters: inverters can run for a longer time since they adapt to the load and produce fewer watts when the load is low.
Crucial Parameters to Notice When Choosing a Generator
The main thing to consider when choosing a generator is your plans. You need to understand how you will use it clearly: is it an instrument only for emergency cases, building sites, or traveling? In the first case, you have to notice its runtime since natural disasters, and power outages can last for a week or even longer. The set of outlets plays a crucial role for travelers; notice if the generator has an RV-ready outlet.
Why do you need a generator, and which parameters are crucial for you? Please share in the comments.