Purchasing a chainsaw can be daunting, especially when you are a novice at it. Sometimes, it may be difficult to find out which brands are reputable and what products are durable. That’s why I decided to prepare reviews on the top 11 gas chainsaws for you to take into consideration.
My name is Ronnie Collins, and I am a long-term certified botanist whose passion and forte lie within gardening and woodwork. Having worked at a gardening company for a while, coupled with my passion for gardening, I became an experienced user of the versatility of tools associated with gardening, including garden hoses, chainsaws, land mowers, among others. Thus, my experience can work for you now.
First of all, I want to point out that there are two popular types of chainsaws: the electric and gasoline ones. The electric chainsaw is way lighter and easy to carry around. It is suitable for home use light tasks. However, it cannot be used to cut big trees, but that’s when a gas chainsaw steps in. Also, the electric chainsaw often carries wires which can limit mobility, unlike the gasoline one that can be moved to any destination.
As I prefer gas chainsaws for a couple of reasons, this overview will help you to familiarize yourself with how it functions and what value it can present to you. Check out the best tools that I have picked based on my knowledge and experience.
Detailed Reviews on Best Chainsaw Gas Tools to Purchase in 2019
Let me walk you through the different gas chainsaws and their distinctive features. Take a close look at each tool to choose which one would work best for you.back to menu ↑
Remington RM4618 Outlaw 46CC 2-Cycle 18-Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw – The Best Gas Chainsaw
This is the best gas powered chainsaw to purchase if you need to cope with tree felling. A friend of mine uses this product for his woodwork for a quite long time. He praised the tool for working well with tree felling, cutting large tree stumps, and so on. Also, I want to note that it is one of the best cheap gas chainsaws according to the reviews on the web.
The Remington RM4618 Chainsaw was designed to withstand the toughest conditions, and it can cut through the hardest trees. It is easy to use and clean. You don’t need to be stressed, looking for where and how to oil the chain. It already comes with an automatic oiler system. Also, cleaning out and changing the spark plug and air filter requires no unscrewing and so on.
Check out the amazing features of this model:
- Its chassis design allows you to operate with the tool easily.
- The device is started by a 46cc 2-cycle engine and uses an 18-inch bar and chain to cut down logs with at least 3 feet in diameter.
- Starting the engine is easy. Once I pulled the device gently, the engine came on.
- There is a 5-point anti-vibration system to protect you during work. It absorbs the vibration, giving you more control over the machine and making your working experience even more satisfying.
- The model also has a cushioned wrap which prevents the hands from getting bruised by branches or debris when working on bigger trees.
And here are some pros and cons highlighted for you to consider:
- It has a built-in vibration absorber
- It protects hands from bruises from tree branches
- Comes with an automatic oiler
- Cleaning and changing the sparkplug is easy
- Already assembled
- It tends to overheat
back to menu ↑
Remington RM5118R Rodeo 51cc 2-Cycle 18-Inch Gas Chainsaw – Best Gas Chainsaw
This is the best gas chainsaw machine that I strongly recommend to professional cutters due to its amazing characteristics. It is an 18-inch gas chainsaw that can swiftly fell any large tree, buck logs, or limb without being affected. I want to note that it is the perfect length to cut down large trees. It comes with an 18-bar guide so that the tool can work on trees with diameters not higher than 14-inches.
I strongly advise you to check out the manual before starting to use the device. The manufacturer states that the only things that you should cut with this device are trees and wood materials. It is not suitable for cutting metal sheets or ceramics.
This device is recommended for professional use only because it is a heavy-duty machine used mostly for dangerous tree felling. Here are more features I want to point out:
- Your safety comes first with this tool. The chain brakes tackle every kickback coming from the device when in use.
- It comes with an anti-vibration technology that absorbs all the shocks from the device to allow you to use it comfortably and not quickly get tired.
- You can use this machine for limbing, cutting firewood, cleaning trees, etc.
- I am impressed with the die-cast chassis, pro-grade crankcase, and sprocket that were incorporated into the tool so that it can last for years.
- The product weighs 25 pounds and comes with the dimensions of 20 x 12.2 x 12.5 inches.
This product indeed provides value for money. Check out the advantages and disadvantages of Remington RM5118R in the table below:
- Automatic oiler to lubricate machine chains
- For a professional use
- Can be used to cut down even big trees
- Not suitable for novices because it may be too heavy to carry
back to menu ↑
Tanaka TCS33EDTP/12 32.2cc 12-Inch Top Handle Chain Saw – The Best Lightweight Gas Chainsaw
Most chainsaws consume a lot of gas due to the high energy output, but that is not the case for the Tanaka chainsaw. Its performance and swiftness in cutting trees are amazing, not to mention that it will still save some fuel for you.
It comes with a sprocket nose that allows much easier cutting than if you were using another tool. It has a 12-inch bar but comes with an extra 14-inch bar unit to allow flexibility of use. The machine has the necessary strength to take down thick, strong trees.
If you are a rookie in woodworking, this best small gas chainsaw would be a good start for you. Professionals may not go for this machine because they usually require a guide bar from 18-inches to 20-inches.
One feature I like about this gas chainsaw is the semi glass fuel tank. You can easily tell when you are almost running out of gas and refill it as soon as your device cools down.
Here are more features that are worth mentioning:
- This chainsaw comes with an anti-kickback feature that handles every kickback that stems from the bar guide.
- Cutting trees for long hours can be tiring. At worst, it can make your hands go numb. So, it is best to get a device with anti-vibration technology. This tool has one.
- The product weighs 11.9 pounds with the dimensions of 11.2 x 15.4 x 11.8 inches.
Here are the good and bad points of this model:
- High performance
- You can see gas quantity with its partly glass gas tank
- Low fuel consumption
- May be difficult to open the bar oil cap
back to menu ↑
Poulan Pro 20 in. 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw, PR5020 – The Best Light Duty Gas Chainsaw
So far, the Poulan Pro has the longest bar guide for cutting any kind of tree. If you have a garden behind your house and you need the most effective chainsaw for all woodworking, then you should totally invest in this one.
The 20-inch bar guide chainsaw is a popular machine by most professional. Experienced wood crafters prefer to work with chainsaws at that length because it works fine on cutting down trees or any other wood materials. However, if you are not a professional gardener, I advise considering a smaller chainsaw as you may not be able to handle more than 18-inches tool.
This is a cost-effective chainsaw that is worth investing in. If you are on a budget, not only is this machine cost-effective, it also saves you 20% on gas consumption because of its compact size. I want to say that it is the best cheap gas chainsaw for hard work for this money.
Poulan Pro PR5020 has a few more features to take note of:
- It is the best gas chainsaw for homeowners because there is nothing in your yard that this machine cannot cut. The 20-inches guide bar is sufficient for any garden work. Whether you need to trim trees, cut down trees, split firewood, and so on, this is the perfect chainsaw for that purpose.
- The purge bulb reduces the number of times that you need to pull the starter rope to prevent the device from damaging fast.
- Did I mention that for its engine power, it is relatively light? It weighs 17 pounds and has the dimensions of 12 x 16 x 11.8 inches.
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of this model:
- Consumes less gas than similar models
- Has 20-inches bar guide
- It does not oil the chains automatically
back to menu ↑
X-BULL 20-Inch Gas Powered Chain Saw 62cc – A Great Tool for Homeowners
If you are looking for an affordable gas-powered, long-guide bar chainsaw that you can use around your home, then the X-Bull is a perfect choice. According to a friend who has been using this device for a while, this machine slices wood like butter. As for a cheaply priced device, it is very efficient and effective.
What I don’t like about this model is that it has no anti-vibration feature. Thus, you can get your hands numbed if you use it for long hours. Well, it is quite cheap, so I didn’t expect that it would have many extra features. If you need something simple to cut trees and perform other garden functions, this chainsaw is just fine for those purposes. However, do not use this tool for very tough trees as there is no guarantee that it can hold up that toughness.
The biggest complaint I heard about this chainsaw is that oil leaks from the machine and the air filter has issues with fitting. However, people who have used this tool agreed that it cuts very good, irrespective of its issues, and can cut up a lot of firewood and fallen trees.
Read more about its distinctive features below:
- The first time I used this chainsaw, I noticed that it has a well-crafted chain brake. It prevents a major kickback. I want to say that chain brakes are a must in all chainsaws.
- The product comes with an earmuff, gloves, and safety glasses. Note that these are essential personal protective equipment for the chainsaw handler.
- It is a big device to have at home, but it is a great one for any workshop activities.
- This is a convenient and cheap tool if you are bothered about costs.
And here are the pros and cons of this device that I want to highlight separately:
- Super affordable
- Cuts wood efficiently
- A good fit for garden use
- Most people complain about leaking oil bar
- No anti-vibration option
back to menu ↑
Remington RM4620 Outlaw 46cc 2-Cycle 20-inch Gas Powered Chainsaw – One of the Most Popular Options
Have you ever thought about purchasing a tough chainsaw that is affordable and durable? Look no further. This 20-inch professionally designed gas-powered chainsaw is set to take your woodworking to a whole new level.
To reduce the rate of vibration that affects the user’s body, the manufacturers added an isolated handle and cushion grip for this model. Thus, if you need to work for longer hours, you won’t get tired fast or have numb hands because you will have more control over the equipment.
Whether you are a professional that has the toughest trees to cut down or you need to cut firewood for use during winter, you can never go wrong with this chain saw. It also comes with an adjustable automatic oil controller. You don’t have to worry about manually oiling the chains. Simply adjust it to prevent an excessive overflow of the oil on to the chain saw.
Here are some amazing features of Remington RM4620:
- This 20-inches machine can cut through any tree size. It was designed for very tough trees. Using it on smaller wood materials would be like swinging a knife through running water, very swift and effective.
- It has a 46cc 2-cycle engine which makes starting the machine seamless.
- You can easily open the spark plug and air filter zone for cleaning and changing without using any additional tools.
- This product weighs 16.6 pounds and has the dimensions of 36 x 12 x 12 inches.
If you are a beginner in woodworking, I strongly recommend starting with this chain saw. It comes at an adequate cost, and it can provide you with all the necessary functions. Check out the good and bad about this tool:
- 20 inches chainsaw can cut through most tough trees
- Easy to clean and change sparkplug and filter
- Efficient for beginners
- Tends to overheat
back to menu ↑
Poulan Pro PR4016 16 Inch Bar 40cc 2 Cycle Gas Chainsaw – The Best Homeowner Gas Chainsaw
When investing in a chainsaw, you definitely want something that has value your money. You want something that is affordable, efficient, usable, durable, and so on. If you need a reliable chainsaw you can use in cutting some firewood for the electric stove, cleaning up deadwood in the yard, or just leveling out the flowers, this multipurpose device is right for you.
This medium inch bar sized chain saw is effective at doing all garden work and consumes less fuel than similar models. The automatic oiler lubricates the bar and chain, which makes cutting more effective. This is the best gas chainsaw for home use. It is ideal for lightweight tree cutting, tree felling, trimming, etc. It may not be able to handle tougher trees, but its lightweight guide bars can make you cut for longer hours without feeling exhausted.
Here are a few important features to mention about Poulan Pro PR4016:
- This product comes with a 2-stroke engine and allows you to mix 40:1 ratio of gasoline and two-stroke engine oil. It is recommended to purchase oil from Poulan Pro only to avoid knocking the engine of the machine or totally destroying it.
- The weighs 16.7pounds and has the dimensions of 23.2 x 14.1 x 11.1 inches, making it light enough to be carried without much strain on the hands.
- It is super easy to clean this tool. Simply use a soft cloth to clean any oil or fuel residue.
- Anti-vibration protects your hands during long working hours.
- Automatic oiling system allows you not to worry about maintaining your tool.
I have tested this product once at a friend’s farm, and it seemed working perfectly. It did not feel heavy in hands, and the vibration was well contained. I think this can pass for a cost-effective tool. It’s efficient yet affordable.
Check out the advantages and the only disadvantage I find about this machine:
- Consumes less fuel than similar tools in the market
- Easy to clean
- Ideal for beginners
- It cannot cut through all trees efficiently because of the short bar guide
back to menu ↑
Husqvarna 18 Inch 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw – The Best Small Gas Powered Chainsaw
Are you a professional wood crafter and you need a chainsaw that can be used both at home and for heavy-duty works? Then, this is a suitable device for you. This is a perfect chain saw if you need to chop up woods, cut down trees, and even trim small branches.
I have a couple of gas chain saws at home, but this is by far my favorite tool when I need to cut logs of woods. The sharpness of its guide bars is impressive. It is not very light but still light enough to work with for an extended time.
If you feel that the chain is too short for you, you can upgrade to a 20-inches bar guide. Never forget to put on personal protection equipment on before handling the machine.
Among the features, I want to point out are the following:
- The product comes with chaps, gloves, and helmet as a safety measure for users. I find it great that the manufacturer takes care of your protection during work with the chainsaw.
- It consumes little fuel and is ideal for cutting or pruning trees and firewood.
- It comes with an anti-vibration system. This product does not make me feel like I have overexerted myself.
- It is easy to access the air filter for easy cleaning and replacement.
- This product weighs 18 pounds and has the dimensions of 41 x 10 x 14 inches.
And here are the pros and cons of this chainsaw to take into consideration:
- Can be used by professional and starters
- It has a centrifugal air replacement system
- Ideal size for home use
- Comes with personal protection equipment
- It has an anti-vibration system
- It may be too short for professional landowners
back to menu ↑
Blue Max 8901 2-in-1 14-Inch/20-Inch Combination Chainsaw – A Remarkable Model to Consider
This product is not on my favorite list, but it works pretty fine for anyone who needs a two-in-one chainsaw. That said, you can use the 14-inches guide bar for household use and the 20-inches one if you need to cut something tougher.
The device has an oil feed that constantly greases the chain and ensures efficiency. It is one of the most popular tools in the market due to its universality. However, make sure to read the manual and adhere to every instruction before starting using the tool. There are some specifics due to the different guide bars in the package.
Here are some important features you need to know:
- This chainsaw is suitable for bucking, limbing, and pruning trees.
- It is a 2-in-1 chainsaw with different guide bars for different woodwork.
- The good thing is that it has a vibration absorber which draws in most of the vibrations and allows you to work effectively.
- A kickback can be very detrimental. This is why this product has a chain brake system to combat any possible kickback.
- The device comes with dimensions of 19.3 x 10.2 x 12 inches and weighs 18.19 pounds.
Even though this machine has several awesome features, I’ve seen some major complaints by users about it taking time to start and that it may leak oil. However, these issues may be occurring due to the wrong usage of the product or if you haven’t checked the instructions properly. This chainsaw is sensitive enough in assembling, and if you mix the wrong gas quantity in the fuel tank, the machine may become faulty.
Read about the pros and cons of this model summarized below:
- It absorbs vibrations pretty well
- The guide bars cut down trees swiftly
- It may leak
- Complex assembling
- Multipurpose tool
- Has a short and a long guide bar
back to menu ↑
Worx WG303.1 Powered Chain Saw, 16-inches Bar Length – One of the Most Lightweight Products
Are you looking for the best lightweight gas chainsaw? Something that is handy to use around the yard for every woodwork? Then, this is the right tool for you. Take a note that it is an electric chainsaw, not just a gas one. However, I decided to add this model to this review because it is the best electric chainsaw for home use.
If this is your first time of handling a chainsaw, then you are on the right path. This is the smallest, lightest, powerful tool that can be used to trim bushes and trees, cut firewood, and much more. It is worth considering to purchase a tool like this one if you are just starting gardening or woodworking and don’t have much work to do in the yard.
The manufacturers have taken your safety into considerations. This is the reason why there is a chain brake built into the device. It guards you against receiving the kickback. It also comes with an automatic oiler that keeps the chains lubricated for maximum performance.
If the vibration of chain saws scares you, then you are in luck with this device because it has a rear and full-wrap front handle. Unlike its counterpart, the gas chain saws, it is lightweight and easier to carry around.
Starting the machine is also very easy. From its 6.75-ounce oil storage, it can easily lubricate both the bar and chain. You can also use the indicator to check the level of your oil. This machine is just like any other household appliance. Simply plug into an outlet and turn it on.
Among the features I like best about this model are the following:
- It is an electric chain saw in this list, and that’s not by chance. I like this one because I don’t have to deal with fumes from the gas-powered one and it is lighter in weight than usual gas chainsaws. I added this position to the list of gas chainsaws to show you different option to consider.
- Your bar and chain will never jam or crank because the oil storage contains enough oil to keep both the bar and chain well-greased.
- This tool can work perfectly for most first-time users.
Here are some pros and cons mentioned separately:
- Uses electricity to function
- Really lightweight
- Can be operated by a beginner and expert woodworker
- The attached cord can hinder mobility
back to menu ↑
Echo Chain Saw, Gas, 18 in. Bar, 40.2CC – A Small and Handy Chainsaw for Home Use
If you need the best small chainsaw gas that can cut through medium trees, stomps, woodworks around your house, then you should totally purchase the machine. But if you need to do bigger or tougher cuts, it is advisable to buy Echo tools with the longer guide bars.
Even though it has great qualities, I must warn that it seems like it was not designed to be easy-to-use. If you are a newbie in woodworking, I would advise that you go for something that is more user-friendly.
I am stunned that this product is expensive but not very flexible to use. For instance, oiling your saw chain has to be done manually. However, they claim that it gives the product longer shelf life compared to the automatic ones. It comes with a 2-stroke engine technology to make the fuel work well and last better.
Nevertheless, this model has some undeniable features worth going for:
- Gasoline needs air to be mixed with it before it can properly work. This air most times comes with particles that can eventually ruin the machine, but that is not the case for Echo chainsaw. The G-Force air filtering technology presented in all Echo chainsaws can filter the air that goes into the engine, thereby, eliminating debris and making the device last longer.
- This product has properties that reduce and absorbs the amount of torque that the saw guide bars receives, which in return, allows you to work for a longer time.
Here are the good and bad points I find about this chainsaw:
- A great tool to have at home
- Useful for small woodworks
- Has a technology that filters air and eliminates debris
- Not user-friendly
- A bit expensive
back to menu ↑
Did You Find These Best Gas Chainsaw Reviews Helpful?
Now that you have read about the different types of chainsaws and their functionalities, I hope you will be able to decide on your purchase. You may be wondering, “what is the best gas chainsaw?”, and I will say that the best tool is the one that can meet your needs. There are no wrong or right gas chainsaw. It all boils down to what you hope to achieve with it.
Do you want a chainsaw for your gardening activities? Do you want to cut down tough trees or just limbing them? Do you need something that will work for you as a professional or as a rookie? These are some of the factors that determine what tool you need to purchase.
After reading this review, make sure to look at the qualities and features of the machines before purchasing. You need to ensure its durability, ease of use, effectiveness, efficiency, price, etc. These are some of the major things that you should look at.
Note that irrespective of the chainsaw type, you need to be cautious while operating it. Always put on your protection equipment whenever you need to use a chainsaw.
Which of the reviewed chainsaws appealed most to you? Have you used any of the products mentioned before? Let me know about your experience in the comments below.